Anyone have a Microsoft Surface?
by steelhop (2012-12-28 13:59:12)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I am thinking about making a last second, end-of-the-year, purchase for tax purposes and thinking about adding a Surface. My main goal is to have to it work in sync with my work computer (Desktop) for that I would like to know:
-Does it get Outlook? Can I link it together with my desktop so that I can read and electronically file emails in right Outlook folders and it will sync with Desktop Outlook?
-Is the keyboard functional to type longer documents on it - several pages.
-What is the wifi capability on it?

Thanks

Asked that a few weeks ago, got mostly crickets
by beattherush  (2012-12-28 17:24:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There were a few "waiting for Surface Pro" responses. I'm not sure I think the price tradeoff is that compelling. $899 + $150 or so if there even is a 4g version + $130 for the Type Cover which most reviewers appear to think is essential equipment. For that I can buy a MacBook Air and get double the battery life and half the hassles.

Per the anecdotal stories I've heard, no. No one does. *
by CMillar  (2012-12-28 16:27:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

be careful - keyboard cover is not included. extra $129. *
by shea  (2012-12-28 15:18:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am waiting for Surface Pro...RT is the one available now
by ndgenius  (2012-12-28 14:13:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm assuming you know that already that the Surface that's available is the RT flavor meaning that it doesn't run traditional desktop programs, only apps. If you want to get office stuff on there I'm assuming that you have to do Office 365 or something like that. I doubt that outlook will work without a subscription to Office 365 although you should be able to get your mail on the tablet from some sort of app.

I am waiting for the Surface Pro because while the battery life sounds like it will be crappy, I like the form factor better than anything out there. I don't want a keyboard "dock"...if I wanted that, I'd get a laptop. I like the integrated kickstand, pen input and really thin keyboard that doubles as a cover.

Surface RT comes with a copy of Office 2013 compiled
by NDBob  (2012-12-28 15:16:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for ARM. Surface Pro will NOT come with Office bundled, but as full x86_64 PC inside it will obviously be able to run whatever copy you have around.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.