What's your best/favotite Eye Round recipe/way to cook? *
by Newt (2012-12-28 12:44:27)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

If you want perfect medium rare, here's one sure fire way
by wide right  (2012-12-28 14:19:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll let others deal with rubs, marinades and seasoning. That's all highly subjective anyway. But if you want a bright red, juicy to overflow center, this will do it and no meat thermometer needed.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place roast in a roasting pan on the center rack and cook for exactly 20 minutes. Then turn the oven off and do not open the door. Allow the roast to cook this way for another 20 minutes per pound. So, for example, if you have a 3 lb roast, cook it for the initial 20 minutes at 450, turn the oven off, and cook for another 60 minutes (3 lbs. x 20 minutes/lb)

Followed properly, this is absolutely foolproof, and I am living proof.

Agreed, but add one really fun step.
by grnd  (2012-12-28 14:43:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After it comes out of the oven, blast it with a blowtorch. Not kidding. You get a great sear and crust on the outside as if you cooked it a long time at a higher temperature without overcooking the first 1/2" of the roast to a grey overdoneness.

i wanna cook with you sometime, cowboy... *
by cujaysfan  (2012-12-28 15:46:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

here's 5 from Chowhound (link)
by discNDav  (2012-12-28 13:58:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The cooking method may seem odd, but its darn good
by bengalbout  (2012-12-28 13:30:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the Roast:

2 lbs. Beef Round, I used a bottom round Roast
Water enough to cover by one inch in a large pot
and 2 tbsp. garlic powder.

For the Gravy:

you can use; (Pioneer Brand) Brown Gravy mix, or you can make it your self,
1/2 C. Flour
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder (must be powder, not granulated)
1 tsp. Black Pepper
2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 C. Oil
1 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet
3 C. Broth, reserved from the boiled beef
(maybe more if your gravy gets too thick)

Directions,
Bring the water to a rolling boil.
Add the roast beef, when the pot comes back to a boil,
reduce the heat to medium to medium high, you should have a heavy simmer.
Cook for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the liquid and let it cool.
Reserve about five cups of the broth, you won’t need all of it,
but keep some to thin the gravy out if necessary.
While the beef is cooling make the gravy.
Bring 3 cups of the reserved cooking liquid to a boil in a small saucepan.
In a small bowl whisk together the flour, garlic powder,
black pepper, salt, then the oil and kitchen bouquet,
when thoroughly blended, whisk the mixture into the boiling broth,
whisk together well, and bring to a boil,
then reduce to a simmer. If necessary add a little of the reserved broth if the gravy is too thick.
It should be. not too thick, not too thin.
Let the gravy simmer for 20-30 minutes adjust for seasonings,
it should have a good amount of salt as the beef has none.
When the beef has cooled down, slice it as thin as possible.
then warm the roast beef.
Cover the roast with 2-3 cups of the gravy.

For the Po Boy:

2 eleven inch Loaves of french bread,
Mayonnaise
2 Tomatoes, sliced
2 Cups shredded Lettuce
1 Dill Pickle, sliced
The Roast Beef from the above recipe
Slice the bread in half lengthwise and lay both halves side by side.
Slather a bunch of mayonnaise on both sides don’t be stingy!).
On the top half, add pickle slices, tomato slices, and the lettuce.
On the bottom half, add 1/2 of the beef and gravy mixture
(please note, I super-sized the amount of beef in this recipe).
Fold the top over the side with the beef and put on a sheet pan.
Repeat with the second sandwich.
Place the sheet pan in the oven for 2-3 minutes to crisp and warm the bread.
Cut each sandwich in half and serve on paper plates with a big ole’ pile of napkins.
Enjoy! Serves 2 hungry eating people,

I enjoy roast beast.
by GRANDBABIES  (2012-12-28 12:53:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Slow-Roasted Beast

Serves 6 to 8.
Why this recipe works:

For an inexpensive slow-roasted beef recipe, we transformed a bargain cut into a tender, juicy roast by salting the meat a full 24 hours before roasting and then cooking it at a very low temperature, which allowed the meat's enzymes to act as natural tenderizers, breaking down its tough connective tissue.

We don't recommend cooking this roast past medium. Open the oven door as little as possible and remove the roast from the oven while taking its temperature. If the roast has not reached the desired temperature in the time specified in step 3, heat the oven to 225 degrees for 5 minutes, shut it off, and continue to cook the roast to the desired temperature. For a smaller (2 1/2- to 3 1/2-pound) roast, reduce the amount of kosher salt to 3 teaspoons (1 1/2 teaspoons table salt) and black pepper to 1 1/2 teaspoons. For a 4 1/2- to 6-pound roast, cut in half crosswise before cooking to create 2 smaller roasts. Slice the roast as thinly as possible and serve with Horseradish Cream Sauce (see related recipe), if desired.

Ingredients
1 boneless eye-round roast (3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds) (see note)
4teaspoons kosher salt or 2 teaspoons table salt
2teaspoons vegetable oil plus 1 tablespoon
2teaspoons ground black pepper Instructions
1. Sprinkle all sides of roast evenly with salt. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 18 to 24 hours.

2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 225 degrees. Pat roast dry with paper towels; rub with 2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle all sides evenly with pepper. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until starting to smoke. Sear roast until browned on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer roast to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Roast until meat-probe thermometer or instant-read thermometer inserted into center of roast registers 115 degrees for medium-rare, 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours, or 125 degrees for medium, 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours.

3. Turn oven off; leave roast in oven, without opening door, until meat-probe thermometer or instant-read thermometer inserted into center of roast registers 130 degrees for medium-rare or 140 degrees for medium, 30 to 50 minutes longer. Transfer roast to carving board and let rest 15 minutes. Slice meat crosswise as thinly as possible and serve.

Step-by-Step
The Transformation From Tough to Tender

Along with salting and searing, the key to our eye round's makeover into a tender, juicy roast is keeping its internal temperature below 122 degrees for as long as possible. Below 122 degrees, the meat's enzymes act as natural tenderizers, breaking down its tough connective tissues.

This is what we do now for Christmas and
by ky_mick  (2012-12-28 13:29:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a couple of times in the summer. Cook the roast (we use bottom round) to 120 degrees then let it cool. About two hours before service I slice it (5 on my slicer, a little thicker than sandwich thick) and let it steep in gravy. This year it took two 8 lb bags of potatoes (mashed) to feed the herd. We did two roasts this year, one in the gravy and one sliced for sandwiches (around 3.5).

Edit, we started this last year, for the previous 53 years of my life it was always turkey. This was one of the hardest traditions I've had too "move on" from, but the roast made it a bit easier.

Good post. Thanks for the recipe.
by TAR  (2012-12-28 13:03:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I bet even a rube from Milwaukee could follow it.

See.... Told ya *
by Irishguard78  (2012-12-28 18:44:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.