Anyone ever replace a filler valve on a toilet?
by bucket (2012-12-28 11:23:45)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

And, uh, is this something I should dare to think of trying myself? Or am I about to ruin everything?

No need to, with the Darnette Disposable Toilet.
by Keenan4w  (2012-12-28 15:40:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very easy, but like all DIY, prepare properly and have...
by kbyrnes  (2012-12-28 14:11:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...a plan. You'll have to shut the water off to the tank, drain what's in there now (flush, then use a bucket below or sop it out with a big sponge). Whatever new rig you buy should have instructions, or find internet instructions like these. Maybe an hour's work, tops. Advice: do not overtighten connections--you can stress/crack stuff. Finger tight, then a little more with pliers or a wrench.

Then have a beer when you're done.

Then use the beer to test the repair (a few hours later) *
by 88_92WSND  (2012-12-28 15:53:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've done it myself several times. Its a cinch. *
by 84david  (2012-12-28 13:42:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm useless around the house, but this is an easy fix
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2012-12-28 13:36:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just visit your local hardware store and the entire thing comes as a kit. Installation often doesn't even require a wrench and you can be done in 20 minutes. Cost should be less than $20.

You may have to adjust the valve to determine how much water you need in your tank.

Also, be sure to shut off the water to the toilet before you start working on it.

Very easy: cost you between $6-$18 depending on what
by ColoraDomer  (2012-12-28 12:52:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

parts you are replacing (Home Depot/Lowes). You can replace just the filler valve or "upgrade" everything for that price range. Find a sales associate and ask any questions. Is is not harder than a leggo set. Just turn off the water, and go.

It's very simple to replace all the hardware in a toilet *
by yooper  (2012-12-28 11:58:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless you have a one piece toilet as I found out today *
by charlottend  (2012-12-28 14:12:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's an easy job. *
by rick  (2012-12-28 11:27:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.