Recommendations needed for a day in Grand Teton area
by NDscott (2012-12-28 10:29:54)
Edited on 2012-12-28 10:44:44
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In two weeks my son and I will be spending a few days snowmobiling in Yellowstone and surrounding area. We will have an extra day, and are thinking about spending it to check out the Grand Teton area. Some questions I have about the area:
- Are enough roads open in the actual national park in January to spend the day driving around to sight see?
- Would any trails be open this time of year?
- Will we expect to see wildlife?
- Should we split out time between the park and Jackson Hole? Any other things in the area that are "must see" this time of year?

Suggestions appreciated!

I think a lot of the roads through the park are closed
by steez_nutz  (2012-12-28 13:37:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the winter, as well as any hiking trails. If you go, you will see wildlife. I've been to Jackson 3-4 times and I've seen moose every time. I've also seen a bald eagle, elk and deer (the deer were just walking around town). If you aren't going skiing, you might check out Granite Hot Springs. It's about 10-15 miles south of Jackson and requires a snowmobile ride, but you will have a nice soak in a natural hot spring. The town of Jackson is nice, but you can pretty much see it in a couple of hours, which includes a meal, buying a nick-nack for mom and a t-shirt for yourself. Again, if you aren't skiing, the Jackson Hole resort won't have much to offer, but they do have cross country skiing trails if you want to give that a go.

There is a sleigh ride you can do through the
by Papa Burgundy  (2012-12-28 11:47:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

National Elk Refuge where you weave through a huge elk herd.

Not sure if it's a "father-son" experience, but I heard it's unbeliveable.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.