Need Music Recs
by MakeAnAssessment (2012-12-28 10:16:14)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Packing my car and heading to Phoenix tomorrow, to pursue graduate school. I have a 28 hour drive in front of me and will require some good new music to prevent myself from losing my mind somewhere in Southern Illinois or Oklahoma.

My tastes are broad: Hip-hop, blues, folk, and pretty much anything else, except modern country.

Any recommendations for good driving/road trip music?

two criminally underrated '12 releases not on many lists
by ndlarryj  (2012-12-28 22:24:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

'year of hibernation' by Youth Lagoon
'heartbreaking bravery' by Moonface

I had the Youth Lagoon as an '11...
by Mr.Natural  (2012-12-29 00:53:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I did like it, as I recall (link to my end of 2011 post)

Moonface, I think Jagjaguwar sent me another release by them. Organ Music, Not Vibraphone As I Had Hoped. I thought it was okay but I will try to get hold of the one you mentioned and give a listen.

Thanks, I always enjoy checking out your recommendations.

thanks and likewise
by ndlarryj  (2012-12-29 06:07:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The newer Moonface is much more straight forward rock, recorded by Spencer Krug and a band he met while touring in Finlland called 'Sinaii', so I think technically it's 'Moonface: with Sinaii'. I personally loved 'Vibraphone' but I have a man crush on Krug and that's me. But the newer one is way different.

Most of my list almost exactly matches Pfk's #'s 10-5, I can't get into their top 4 (Tame Impala, Fiona, Ocean, Lamar). Really stuck on "the seer" right now, so good.

If you like hip hop, give Kendrick Lamar a listen. *
by goirish912  (2012-12-28 15:16:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Al Jolson
by ndtnguy  (2012-12-28 14:35:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That 1920s dixieland stuff is quite sing-a-long-able.

Grizzly Bear "Shields" is my new favorite car CD. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2012-12-28 13:37:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

John Cage's 4'33" on repeat, max volume *
by nkrienke32  (2012-12-28 12:38:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Diarrhea of a Madman" by the Dave Brockie Experience
by blazesboylan  (2012-12-28 11:56:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're going on a long trip. This has a lot of songs.

Someone yesterday rec'd the latest Nada Surf. It's solid *
by BillShakespeare  (2012-12-28 11:48:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is it Popular though? *
by anthro_domer  (2012-12-28 12:08:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Check out a great new guitar record in a grand tradition
by Mr.Natural  (2012-12-28 11:38:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Check out this blog - nothing but music recs. No modern country and not much hip hop. But everything else you mentioned. Lots of free downloads available.

Hope your drive goes well. Done it several times.

You guys going to list your 2012 faves at some point? *
by irishvol  (2012-12-28 12:04:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Next week *
by Mr.Natural  (2012-12-28 13:05:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe these? [v]
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2012-12-28 10:23:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cornershop "Good to be on the Road Back Home Again"

Angie Heaton "Train"

Jason Collett "Bitter Beauty"

Most of my tastes run towards the power pop end of the rock & roll genre, so I give you...

The Lolas "Fox on the Run"

The Lolas "Silver Dollar Sunday"

Mark Kleiner Power Trio "Beautiful Slide"

The Shazam "Calling Sydney"

The Shazam "RU Receiving"

The Shazam!
by Mr.Natural  (2012-12-29 16:28:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hans is a madman - they opened for GbV here once and Bob made Hans come up and sing with them. Great power pop band.

Podcasts are much better for passing the time, IMO.
by Max Fischer  (2012-12-28 10:22:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The conversation is more engaging than just music, and this is coming from somebody who loves music.

If you are looking for music, there was a mini Best of 2012 thread below yesterday.

Thank you, will check it out.
by MakeAnAssessment  (2012-12-28 10:37:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And podcasts are a great idea, thank you.

Unlike music, they're free. Here are some of my favorites
by Max Fischer  (2012-12-28 10:43:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(descriptions from the iTunes store)

99% Invisible: A tiny radio show about design, architecture & the 99% invisible activity that shapes our world.
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn: Bullseye is your curated guide to culture. Jesse Thorn hosts in-depth interviews with brilliant creators, culture picks from The AV Club and irreverent original comedy. Bullseye has been featured in Time, The New York Times, GQ and McSweeney's.
Filmspotting: Weekly film podcast/WBEZ radio show from Chicago featuring in-depth reviews, top 5 lists and interviews. Hosted by Adam Kempenaar and Josh Larsen.
Freakonomics Radio: The latest articles from Freakonomics Radio
International Waters: A pop culture comedy quiz show where land laws don't apply.
Judge John Hodgman: Decisions Rendered by John Hodgman.
My Brother, My Brother And Me: My Brother, My Brother and Me is an advice show for the modern age.
NPR: How To Do Everything Podcast: How To Do Everything is half advice show, half survival guide. We answer all your questions, from how to find a date, to how to find water in the desert.
NPR: Planet Money Podcast: Money makes the world go around, faster and faster every day. On NPR's Planet Money, you'll meet high rollers, brainy economists and regular folks -- all trying to make sense of our rapidly changing global economy.
Sklarbro Country: Sklarbro Country features Randy and Jason Sklar as they give their weekly comedic takes on the worlds of sports and pop culture. You don’t have to know about sports to enjoy it, as long as you like silly puns and great comedians.
Stop Podcasting Yourself: Vancouver's top comedy podcast? Hosted by Graham Clark and Dave Shumka, with weekly guests. Hilarious weekly guests? Yup.
The Dinner Party: The Dinner Party with Rico Gagliano and Brendan Francis Newnam
The Flop House: Funny Talk About Film Flops
the memory palace: From award-winning public radio producer, Nate DiMeo, comes The Memory Palace. Short, surprising stories of the past, sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes hysterical, always super-great.
The Moth Podcast: Since its launch in 1997, The Moth has presented thousands of true stories, told live and without notes, to standing-room-only crowds worldwide. Moth storytellers stand alone, under a spotlight, with only a microphone and a roomful of strangers.
This American Life: Official free, weekly podcast of the award-winning radio show "This American Life." First-person stories and short fiction pieces that are touching, funny, and surprising. Hosted by Ira Glass, whom Buck Mulligan hates
WNYC's Radiolab: On Radiolab, science meets culture and information sounds like music. Each episode of Radiolab® is an investigation -- a patchwork of people, sounds, stories and experiences centered around One Big Idea. Hosted by Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich

Stephen Tobolowsky has chunks of Ira Glass in his
by Buck Mulligan  (2012-12-28 11:06:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

well-told stories.

Stevie Ray probably agrees.
by Revue Party  (2012-12-28 14:29:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

God rest his soul to soul.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.