Breckenridge Brewery's Christmas Ale is yummy.
by Fuzzy Patters (2012-12-27 19:38:08)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

That is all.

How come no one told me about Unibroue Maudite?
by dulac89  (2012-12-29 23:23:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had a bottle, loved it, so bought a Sixtel of it to go alongside my Mad Elf. Great winter beer, and unlike the Mad Elf I can drink more than two and not be shitfaced.

My only complaint is that with my Mad Elf aged, the two are just similar enough that I feel like there's not quite enough variety in my selection right now.

Tonight I'm drinking 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale
by Fuzzy Patters  (2012-12-29 20:16:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think I like the Breckenridge better.

Damn right. On tap right now. *
by ColoraDomer  (2012-12-28 17:43:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did we ever do a Winter Warmer/Christmas beer list?
by anthro_domer  (2012-12-28 10:12:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know we've done it for Pumpkin Ales. Luckily, Christmas beers seem to have a much greater selection than Pumpkin Ales, probably because it's a more standard, traditional category. I find very few that outright suck.

Troeg's Mad Elf is probably my favorite. Then there's a whole collection of local ones that taste pretty similarly: Great Lakes Christmas Ale, Thirsty Dog 12 Dogs of Christmas, Fat Heads Holly Jolly Christmas Ale, Southern Tier 2XMas. The Breckenridge is very good and even though it's not a traditional winter warmer, the Great Divide Hibernation Ale is one of my favorites.

I don't think I can even get into the Belgians, but there's a lot of them too. I think the Scaldis Noel is probably my favorite, but I haven't tried many.

We did talk about it a while back (link)
by MarnMav  (2012-12-29 19:11:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Finally got some Harpoon Winter Warmer last night. Tasty
by MarnMav  (2012-12-29 08:32:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought I remembered I had really liked that one from last year. Yep, sure did. Spicy but not too spicy and well balanced.

I love Great Lakes. Breckenridge is good too. Those are my favorites.
Mad Elf is better on tap.

Anything that has Christmas spices in it is terrible to me.
by smcchick  (2012-12-28 14:20:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is why I look at them carefully before buying them. Generally I steer towards the winter ales. Brooklyn has a pretty good winter ale.

Belgian favorites
by ksqdomer  (2012-12-28 13:11:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

DuPont Avec les bons Voeux. It is simply wonderful.
St. Bernardus Christmas. Rich plummy goodness.
DeRanke Pere Noel. I always search this one out.

Mad Elf tastes like cherry cough syrup.
by DeBo  (2012-12-28 11:21:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I bought some of the stuff based on the reviews of this board, and I hated it. I don't like mead, so I should have known better than to buy it when I saw it was made from honey.

I am drinking a one year old keg right now
by dulac89  (2012-12-29 23:21:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aging definitely mellows the Cherry taste, and brings out more spice.

Let it age for a year.
by Barber  (2012-12-28 23:19:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meaning, stick it in a dark corner in your basement until next Christmas and let the yeast go to work. I agree with your assessment that cherry is too dominant in fresh Mad Elf, but the aging mellows it out while introducing more complex flavors.

Agree, I always give it at least a year, mostly two. *
by Ksqdomer  (2012-12-29 09:08:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm a big fan of Sly Fox's 2012 offering. *
by Mike McIrish  (2012-12-27 23:06:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had 5 Sly Fox's (not all at once), great change of pace beer *
by discNDav  (2012-12-28 09:03:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just the opposite for me
by Ksqdomer  (2012-12-28 00:40:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when I want a snicker-doodle I'll eat a snicker-doodle.

I'm partial to Great Lakes, myself. *
by dentonfreeman  (2012-12-27 23:04:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seconded *
by IrishCLE  (2012-12-28 08:02:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That sh*t is strong. *
by St. Pete St.  (2012-12-27 23:17:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.