Any cons to converting my cell phone # to a Google Voice #?
by DoubleDomer0307 (2012-12-27 17:34:49)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I'd love to get some of the Google Voice features on my cell phone, but I don't know exactly how it works if I convert my cell phone number over to Google Voice. Would I be screwing up things with my carrier (AT&T)?

I maintain two number on the same phone
by thatguy  (2012-12-27 22:14:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The main reason being a lack of support for MMS on Google Voice.

I use my Google Voice for professional purposes mostly as well as situations such as online purchases (so I can block future marketing calls if necessary). I've kept the other number because it's the number I've had since I first got a cell phone. All of my personal contacts have that number and it's too much of a hassle to explain to my family to email me photos rather than text them to me.

For outgoing calls I have my phone prompt me each call as to whether I'd like to use my phone's number or my Voice number to make the call. It's an easily changed setting to have one number or the other handle all outgoing calls without prompting.

This buggest advantage is the Visual Voicemail. The transcription isn't perfect but it's good enough to get an idea of who called and about what without having to listen to a message. If need be, it's also much easier to listen to the actual messages.

I'm not sure you can do it mid-contract.
by anthro_domer  (2012-12-27 18:42:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think I looked into this a bit back and changing the number now could void your contract. I think only Sprint allows you to change mid-contract.

Not sure what happens if you are out of contract. I assume it'd be fine, but you'd have to tell everyone you new phone number and you wouldn't have any cushion with your old number.

I've found that using both numbers is fine on my phone. As long as people remember to dial the right number, the best part of Google Voice is the voicemail to email/Google voice app. When I had poor cell phone reception at my old apartment the gmail calling was a God send as well.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.