Concealed Carry - Anyone?
by LeLuni (2012-12-27 16:09:49)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I'll be getting my license this spring. My Dad said he was going to apply and do the course, and I jumped at the chance to join him. This conversation actually began before Newtown, but casual conversation has obviously drifted towards that topic.

I can see myself having a firearm semi-permanently in the car, but I can hardly envision carrying everywhere I go. Maybe when I go to the mall, downtown, or other public and somewhat crowded place (?).

I'm curious as to who here currently has the Concealed Carry permit, as well as what they carry, and under what circumstances. I don't currently own a firearm, so I'm in the market for one and would like to hear your thoughts.

After reading this thread, whatever you armed-to--the-hilt
by IrishJoeinnc  (2012-12-28 17:20:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

guys say.

Good, but be ready. There's always a faster gun out there. *
by ProV1x  (2012-12-28 08:17:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm your huckleberry. *
by DeBo  (2012-12-28 11:46:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm doing the same thing. I'm looking at the Taurus Judge. (link)
by Okcirish  (2012-12-28 00:53:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow, that'll get the job done *
by LeLuni  (2012-12-28 08:57:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sig P220 .45
by Duck  (2012-12-27 23:04:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Be prepared.

Why do you people carry firearms? A sword, I could
by Inigomontoya  (2012-12-27 22:02:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

understand, it is an elegant accompaniment. But these pistols you are talking about...I don't get it.

In the spring??? But I'm mad now!
by StillaLeafsFan  (2012-12-27 21:49:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mmm, Pistol Whip...
by shea  (2012-12-28 08:50:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ruger LC9
by scottie  (2012-12-27 20:37:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Usually carry when out and about. I don't carry at work.

this for the summer in my cargo shorts.
by die4irish  (2012-12-27 21:53:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ruger p95 for when I wear a coat with a shoulder holster. I never liked the waistband ones.

Ruger SR9C
by Pitbull  (2012-12-27 21:22:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My first handgun. Can conceal inside the waist band with something like a crossbreed supertuck or white hat holster. A bit bigger and bulkier than the lc9. Lc9 could be a pocket pistol with loose fitted clothes. Personally, I like the Ruger's because of the safety--though many find it a nuisance.

With two boys under 6 the safety will be peace of mind. *
by Rudy36  (2012-12-28 01:21:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How do you like it? I'm leaning towards this.
by Rudy36  (2012-12-27 20:42:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had a used one (fewer than 100 rounds) in my hands for $315 and failed to buy it.

I regret that decision.

I was holding out for one with the Crimson Trace. I really like the safety and the magazine safety.

I enjoy it....
by scottie  (2012-12-27 21:01:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like the safety features, but I know some think of it as a hassle.

I really like the size.

Only have about 200 rounds through it, but it has worked well.

Now that I think about it I should have purchased the one with the laser.

I did purchase an extra clip I use for target bullets.

I recommend it.

Para 1911
by Lazarus  (2012-12-27 20:33:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Easily done in the winter, not so much in the summer. Need to get a smaller framed pistol in .45 ACP or 40 S&W for warm weather carry.

My best advice in addition to the people who have advised you to get very proficient, is to get a round that has enough stopping power that an imperfect shot placement will still be effective. The 9mm is not that round.

Magazine size is over-rated.

Kimber Ultra Carry ii
by Irish_6  (2012-12-27 20:24:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I rarely have it on me though. It's honestly just not that practical

M & P Shield
by jt4dirish  (2012-12-27 20:22:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Used to carry a Glock 26, strongly prefer the Shield to the Glock.

This is the one I'm looking at
by LeLuni  (2012-12-28 08:58:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems that there is a waiting list for them. I'm going to continue to search.

Do you have the .40 or the 9mm?

Just read the Repairman Jack series and get one of
by Bluntschli  (2012-12-27 20:21:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

everything he has.

Sig 239
by Aobnd04  (2012-12-27 20:00:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wear my IWB Galco Summer Comfort or an ankle rig to conceal my Sig Sauer 239 (40 cal) pretty much whenever I'm off duty. I don't carry when I drink. I carry everywhere else within reason.

Carrying is a huge responsibility. Dont leave it in your car. Get a safe for your house. If you have time, go to the range at least once a season to practice, not to screw around with Osama Bin Laden targets like I see all the time. Take shooting lessons. The more responsible people that carry, the more travesties can be avoided.

I think you should watch the dollar bill scene in "Papyon" *
by Frank Drebin  (2012-12-27 19:25:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here are some ideas
by atlpns  (2012-12-27 18:14:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here are the handguns I currently have. My main defensive weapon would be the Walther P 99 in a .40 cal at the top but the smaller Ruger LCP .380 cal is what I carry with me most of the time and I emphasize "most" because if you don't have it all of the time you will probably not have it when you need it.

Please consider the second photo of the North American Arms .22 Magnum. It is ridiculously small but trust me, with a Hornady Critical Defense round at close range, it will get the job done. The trick is to have it with you at all times and this thing will be easy to carry and do the work. I am ordering one this week.

Follow the link provided.

Do you switch hands when soaping up in the shower ...
by Rocksteady74  (2012-12-27 23:06:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... or do you use the Little Mermaid NRA holster?

Agree on the LCP. I'm leaning towards the LC9 because
by Rudy36  (2012-12-27 20:49:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm a pretty large framed human and I think concealing it will not be an issue.

I have a Glock 19 so shared ammo is a plus.

You should also consider the Kahr CW9 I mentioned below.
by lambconnection  (2012-12-28 08:41:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is very similar in size to the Ruger LC9. It also takes a 7 round mag and is chambered for 9mm. They are very similar guns, but personally I prefer the feel and balance of the Kahr to the Ruger. Also, the action on the Kahr is very similar to the Glock with which you are already familiar.

Just my two cents.

Thanks. *
by Rudy36  (2012-12-28 13:40:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If anyone wants an LCP, contact me
by dbldomer (click here to email the poster)  (2012-12-27 21:57:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would be happy to part with my Ruger LCP .380 in order to purchase the LC9 and consolidate ammo (I have a 9mm for the house). I love the LCP, but with the introduction of the LC9, being able to just worry about having 9mm ammo is attractive.

I would not recommend that you store a firearm in your car. *
by IrishApache  (2012-12-27 17:45:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nah - trailer hitch, howitzer and grapeshot. That's why ...
by Rocksteady74  (2012-12-27 17:26:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... we're a free people!

I have a permit, but don't carry.
by asr  (2012-12-27 16:58:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a lifetime carry permit, but do not exercise it. Some of this has to do with my profession (which is not carry-friendly), and some with my wife's comfort level (which is improving). I do keep a handgun in a locked case in my vehicle. It goes in the nightstand at night.

I have a S&W M&P9c, which I got before the Shield started to become more available. It was a compromise option that I felt was more concealable and ergonomic, for me, than a G19 or G26. If I could do it over (or, if I could get spousal permission now), I'd get a G19 and an M&P 9mm Shield. Shield for concealed carry and G19 for everything else.

I shoot the G19 better than the M&P, but the latter is much more comfortable for my hand than the former. The Shield, which I have not shot, I would expect to match the ergonomics of the 9c that I have, but with a thinner profile (which, if anything, will be an improvement).

If you're actually going to carry regularly, you need to research and try different holster arrangements. Even though I don't carry, I do have a Galco Kingtuk IWB holster (so, I could carry if I were so inclined). If I get the opportunity to switch to the G19 and Shield combo, I will likely get a Raven Concealment Systems setup for both. Lots of quality holster makers out there, and several different carry options (appendix, belly band, ankle, pocket, IWB, OWB, small of the back).

While I don't currently carry, I have the ability to do so if circumstances warrant. Down the road, especially if I get a Shield, I may carry daily anyways. We'll see.

One other thing to consider when carrying are safeties. Key feature for you to consider on a carry weapon. Preferences vary. Many CCW folks prefer no external safeties. Others prefer an external safety (grip or thumb). Others still prefer no safeties and carry unloaded, with magazine in pocket or otherwise concealed. Personally, I'd be more inclined to carry regularly if I had gotten my M&P9c with the thumb safety. Google "Glock leg"

Hope this is helpful to you!

I thought that was Plaxico leg? *
by Inigomontoya  (2012-12-27 17:39:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which means we need to replay this PSA.
by LocalSubAlum  (2012-12-27 20:52:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

H&K P30
by sec21atlanta  (2012-12-27 16:57:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I live in FL and carry it everywhere I legally can.

I have had one for several years.
by lambconnection (click here to email the poster)  (2012-12-27 16:43:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most of the time I keep my Glock 19 (9mm 15+1) in my truck where it is easily accessible.

When I feel the need I may carry it, though it is difficult to conceal without a coat. When I do carry it, I use a Minotaur holster made by Comp-Tac. It's a little expensive but very comfortable for IWB (Inside Waist Band) carry because it's leather on one side and kydex on the other.

I also have a Kahr Arms CW9 (9mm 7+1) that is thinner and smaller. It can be more easily concealed under just a shirt. I use a kydex trigger guard made by Raven Arms that comes with a parachute cord and carabiner to allow it to be attached to a belt loop. This allows you to safely carry it tucked in your waistband ("Mexican" style) with the trigger fully covered. When you draw, the carabiner catches on the belt loop, pulls the parachute cord, and pops the kydex trigger guard off.

I also own a Kimber Custom TLE II (.45 ACP 1911) that I love to shoot but I find too large for concealed carry.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have included my email if you would prefer to talk offline.

Interesting vidoe googling Kydex
by 88_92WSND  (2012-12-27 21:16:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They chose their demonstrator well.
by lambconnection  (2012-12-28 08:46:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll forgive the Michigan State shirt.

It's probably obvious, but I use the Vanguard I trigger guard.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.