Any recommendations on hiking boots?
by mitquinn (2012-12-27 13:30:19)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I have a gift card to REI and I am looking for quality weekend/day hiking boots. No need for backpacking heavy duty type of structure.

Any outdoor enthusiasts have a good make/model they like?

Just picked up Patagonia Drifter GTX.
by KennesawMtIrish  (2012-12-28 08:17:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

$170 on sale at $118. Felt pretty good walking around the store at least and I liked the sale price.

Not sure if REI sells them, but anything by Danner
by asr  (2012-12-27 16:11:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No REI around here, haven't been in one in years, and too lazy to check their website to see whether they carry Danner, but I will never buy a boot, of any style, from another company.

In fact, I only have one pair of non-snow boots these days, Danner Mountain Light II. May not be what you're looking for in terms of weight and cost, but you cannot beat Danner for quality of construction and durability. My pair are about six or seven years old now, and are my all-around go-to boots, all year.

I'd love to have another, lighter pair of Danners, but I can't justify it when the ones I do have work so well.

I've hiked with Vasque Ranger boots for 5 years
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2012-12-27 14:25:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am on my second pair. I day hike about 5-10 miles a month with my dog.

They are inexpensive (under $80), are lightweight and provide decent traction on the trails. I bought a new insole for extra cushioning for my plantar fascitis-riddled feet. They are also very water resistant but can get a little chilly when the mercury dips below 20F.

I like my Merrell Moabs
by Tommy Baseball  (2012-12-27 14:20:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Super lightweight. You are trading weight for ankle support, but from your description, it doesn't sound like you are planning to do too much off the trail hiking.

I've hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon twice in them and never had a blister and support was adequate. For Southern California/desert hiking, I went with the non-waterproof version. They breathe really well and keep your feet comfortable. Just realize, if you step in a puddle that is a little too deep, your socks will get soaked. They have a waterproof version, but that adds a little weight and I can't speak to breathability.

The only knock on them is that the cloth around the heel on mine is wearing out, but that is likely because I slip them on and off rather than untying them. All my shoes are like this after a few years.

I tried on Keens and Merrills last time
by Starburns  (2012-12-27 13:43:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And went with the Keens. I bought them for an Inca Trail hike (and I can't remember who was asking but yes -- you'll want something with ankle support for the descents, and yes there's lots of walking along pretty sheer drops). I found that the cushioning was far superior. But everyone's different. REI staff are knowledgeable and will let you try on as many pairs as you like and walk around as much as you need.

That was me - thanks for your thoughts.
by epmnet37  (2012-12-27 16:44:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suppose if I don't use hiking boots very often, they'll last roughly forever, so it might be worth a purchase after all. Thanks again.

No problem
by Starburns  (2012-12-27 17:00:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was also glad to have telescoping hiking poles. You can rent them from your outfitter,

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.