Lawrence of Arabia
by fastenatingguy (2012-12-26 17:24:57)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Going to see the 50th anniversary restored version on the big screen tonight at the Music Box in Chicago.

Any other fans of this movie, which is arguably one of the all time greats?

Thank goodness for no computer generated visuals!

I will be at Aqaba: that *is* written.
by ndtnguy  (2012-12-27 09:43:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A great movie. They ran it down here on the big screen a few months ago, but it was on a random Tuesday night and there was no way I could go.

Alec Guinness as Prince Faisal is equal parts spectacular makeup and spectacular acting. Look up a picture of the actual man: Guinness looked just like him.

Excellent movie. Enjoy. *
by irishcrusader  (2012-12-26 21:13:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of my top five.
by captaineclectic  (2012-12-26 20:49:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I'm being honest, top three.

Mine too. My top 5 would include
by Atticus  (2012-12-26 22:22:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In no particular order, and depending upon the mood:

A Man for All Seasons
Why: well, we know all dogs go to heaven, but this movie gives hope that a lawyer or two might make the grade as well. Or did Thomas's end exhaust our quota?

La Dolce Vita
Why: modern man in a nutshell. Besides, how can you pass on a movie that begins with a statue of Jesus flying over Rome on the way to the Vatican and ends with Marcello turning away from the young Virgin Mary on the beach beckoning to him from the foot of the cross? Is there a sadder ending? Yes, the next one

Au Hasard Balthazar
Why: an odd picture by one of my favorite directors, Robert Bresson. It's a simple tale about the life of a donkey, the suffering servant if you will, in rural France, but a story that will break a heart made of stone.

Fort Apache
Why: John Ford, John Wayne, schmaltzy Irish sentimentality, even treatment of the Indians, and the scene of John Wayne and Pedro Armendariz riding through the desert to meet Cochise that is always in my top 5 scenes in all moviedom.

Lawrence of Arabia
Why: see Fort Apache, believe it or not. The desert is a character that steals the show, aided by that music and a ripping good story.

On the bubble at the moment:

The Grapes of Wrath
Why: Henry Fonda, Linda Darnell, Red River Valley, the fragility of community/family in tough times.

The Longest Day
Why: the daring good against entrenched evil.

Mr Smith Goes to Washington
Why: the thousand tiny compromises that leads from idealism to cynicism and therefore to perdition. Jimmy plays the 'clown' reminiscent of that other clown who proclaimed:

I am a woodland fellow, sir, that always loved a
great fire; and the master I speak of ever keeps a
good fire. But, sure, he is the prince of the
world; let his nobility remain in's court. I am for
the house with the narrow gate, which I take to be
too little for pomp to enter: some that humble
themselves may; but the many will be too chill and
tender, and they'll be for the flowery way that
leads to the broad gate and the great fire.

I love it.
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2012-12-26 20:15:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as someone who particularly enjoys when the indie and art house theaters fire up restored (or vintage 35mm) versions of classics, I can say I am profoundly jealous of your evening.

a lovely film and a great venue.

enjoy!

"I don't like the name Lawrence....
by Marine Domer  (2012-12-26 19:24:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only faggots and sailors are named Lawrence." GySgt Hartman.

Hartman....
by atlpns  (2012-12-26 19:47:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"only steers and queers come from Texas private cowboy, and you don't much look like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down"

Full Metal Jacket 1987

My favorite movie *
by knutesteen  (2012-12-26 18:46:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No prisoners! *
by inigomontoya  (2012-12-26 18:21:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Love it.
by Buck Mulligan  (2012-12-26 18:19:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Magnificent on a big screen, to say the least.

Enjoy it.

British Beatlemania
by TJK1998  (2012-12-26 18:16:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(Sorry everybody.)

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.