Complaints about ND's values as an institutuion, and
by 53stackmonster (2012-12-26 15:11:59)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

a Catholic one at that, of higher learning have been voiced here several times.

I am curious as to the board's reaction to the fact that this book is touted as a bestseller at the campus bookstore, if any reaction at all...

ASSHOLES FINISH FIRST
Stuffed full of ridiculous stories of bad decisions, debauchery, and sexual recklessness, Assholes Finish First starts where I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell left off, then proceeds to ''some next-level shit.'' Youalready know how women react to confidence, game, and vodka, but what happens when you add money and fame to the mix? You get answers to the hard questions you've never thought of asking: What's it like to have sex with a midget? What does it do to a man to watch a 19-year-old do wind sprints to sober up, so that she can have sex with you before her twin sister does? 'At what number of virgins does deflowering them stop being fun and start feeling like a job? The answers are inside, they are absurd and hilarious, and they are the product of one man's experiences: His name is Tucker Max, and he is still an asshole.

The "Tucker Max" approach to women is appealing to guys...
by GeronimoRumplestiltskin  (2012-12-27 10:50:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

aged 24 and younger. Gives insecure guys a "gameplan" for picking up women.

If it still appeals to a guy over the age of 24, then said guy is a moran.

Lighten up Francis *
by 84david  (2012-12-26 19:12:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If any of you homos touch my stuff... *
by 53stackmonster  (2012-12-26 19:24:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sodom and Begorrah!!! *
by ArasEra  (2012-12-26 16:53:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The campus bookstore is a shitshow
by ndtnguy  (2012-12-26 16:31:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You could not show me one thing off its shelves that would surprise me.

As a commercial enterprise period, it's not exactly a dreamworld. As a Catholic bookstore, it bombs. The stuff they stock in there is the most random mishmash in the world.

Hammes could be one of the most outstanding sellers of new Catholic books and accoutrements in the world. Instead, it's an embarrassment, or something just north of that at best. It will stay that way as long as they have some third-party campus-bookstore giant running the place.

That's not it's mission, and shouldn't be
by sprack  (2012-12-27 17:21:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The books there are mostly textbooks for students.

Why do some people seem to confuse the University of Notre Dame with Vatican City?

Don't you just miss...
by Barney68  (2012-12-26 16:46:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the tight focus of the old bookstore? They certainly didn't have a lot of junk there...not a lot of anything, not a lot of books, not a lot of clothes, not a lot of toys...but you get the picture.

Plus, you could prove your manhood simply by making a purchase, any purchase, on game day. It was sort of like a rugby scrum only not so friendly.

Purchased vinyl LP records at old bookstore...remember.
by Harv79Pangborn  (2012-12-27 10:50:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

standing in line OUTSIDE the old bookstore to get in. After x-amount of people would leave, they would let x-amount of people in on the West side of the building. That was a "workout" going through the isles there. Not as much of a selection (less is more) but seemed like they had enough of the right stuff. I still can envision it when I look at the new Coleman-Morse building. Bookstore basketball finals right behind the old Hammes bookstore. That was the day.

That WAS the day. Great memories. *
by GraniteBayDomer  (2012-12-27 19:30:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I miss Gilbert's *
by Irish72  (2012-12-26 17:20:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gilbert's advertising motto was "one man tells another".. *
by Harv79Pangborn  (2012-12-27 10:53:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Recall students in our dorm saying they used the Gilbert's method to pass a test or do homework...."one man tells another". Still look to my left when coming into South Bend on Route 31 (Michigan Street) to where the Gilbert's brick building still stands (homeless shelter?). Still have a pair of mint shape Sansabelt green golf pants from senior year from there.

So does Digger. *
by dbldomer7375  (2012-12-26 18:10:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ditto. Gilberts. Not Digger. *
by ProV1x  (2012-12-26 19:33:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was standing in front of Jake Kelchner in the bookstore -
by mkovac  (2012-12-26 18:22:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the old bookstore, next to my old dorm, Badin.

Jake was with his father and they were buying loads of ND clothing. I started up a conversation with him and he was hoping to get back in to ND from Holy Cross JC, but I don't think he ever did.

To me, seeing him there with his dad and buying a lot of ND stuff told me that he still loved ND and wanted to stay there.

I miss the intimacy of the old bookstore, where students could buy shaving cream and toothpaste, and where the top floor was where student bought their overpriced books for their classes.

It always felt good to take the new books back to my dorm room and open them up to see what I was going to study. Then, a few weeks later, when the newness of the books and the anticipation of the new classes would wear off, the grind would begin and total immersion in endless homework and studying and hours at the Library would begin to wear on my soul.

And then, there was the worry about classmates going off to the meatgrinder that was Viet Nam.

Need more info: did Tucker Max go to ND? *
by RocketShark  (2012-12-26 16:29:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

U of Chicago undergrad and Duke Law.
by WilfordBrimley  (2012-12-26 17:02:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That he is such a turd with an obviously high caliber mind surprises the hell out of me, although there are exceptions in every population. He didn't get in off legacy or big money or anything like that, either. He went to a public school for high school in Lexington, KY.

I remember reading that he has smartened up recently, stopped all the shenanigans, and has a long-time girlfriend now.

seems fairly normal to me
by atthedome  (2012-12-26 18:29:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plenty of highly paid narcissics who get bored and go for cheap thrills.

Must have been really recently
by starburns  (2012-12-26 17:10:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In April he was offering Planned Parenthood a half a million dollars to name an abortion clinic after him.

Well, they kind of have to carry the Jobs biography. *
by captaineclectic  (2012-12-26 15:56:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought that's what was being referenced.
by Revue Party  (2012-12-26 16:17:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then I realized it was just silliness.

Who cares? *
by Rockbrig97  (2012-12-26 15:51:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is unlikely a best seller at ND
by fontoknow  (2012-12-26 15:34:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is likely a best seller within the Follett system, the company that runs the bookstore for ND.

I think that was Grace Hall's late '70's mantra.
by cj  (2012-12-26 15:29:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Alumni's was, "sitting, knitting and quitting."

I remember the ladies of Walsh pummeling Alumni in a snow ball fight circa '78.

"Get out their and fight." "But Father they throw hard and there are quilts to make."

I think we killed a half keg at Dillon watching that one.

What is your concern, exactly?
by jerseyirish07  (2012-12-26 15:21:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That Notre Dame's bookstore is not only a campus bookstore (i.e. textbooks for class), but also an actual bookstore?

It's a book. It's a national bestseller. The bookstore sells books. Get over it.

To be clear, if my post was not enough already, I am NOT
by 53stackmonster  (2012-12-26 15:31:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

concerned at all.

I was curious if there would be a reaction to this at all. I have seen reactions before that would lead me to believe I might find some backlash to this book/type of book leading sales in the campus bookstore

I was a bit surprised, I will admit.

I personally find the author to be pompous and sophomoric.

But as a non-alum and non-Catholic, it is not really my place to take offense, nor would I be so inclined, I believe, to take great offense were I both.

But to repeat, I was curious as to whether or not there would be a mixed reaction, that is all.

Extremely slow day at the office--apologies if it would appear my post is in poor taste, and I am sincere in saying that.

Fair enough, then.
by jerseyirish07  (2012-12-27 10:38:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Simply interpret my response to be how I would react to someone who actually did react that way, then.

Newsflash
by starburns  (2012-12-26 16:25:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like any other expensive private university, ND has a sizeable population of pompous, sophomoric students.

subtitle "..only if you run backwards" *
by 88_92WSND  (2012-12-26 15:20:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am mortified!
by sprack  (2012-12-26 15:19:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Actually, I'm not. I really don't care at all. I just wanted to beat the rush.

But not outraged?
by geoffgeoffers  (2012-12-26 15:55:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's outrageous.

I'm outragged. *
by LoungeTroll  (2012-12-26 16:02:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.