Anyone here have experience with standing rib roast?
by goldendeuce (2012-12-26 10:59:23)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Did my first Prime Rib Roast yesterday. Right before putting in oven to roast, noticed my meat thermometer was kaput. Had to eyeball the damn thing. Worked out well for those of us that liked it medium rare. However, my wife is a well done kinda woman. Very hard to get that thing well done, even when slicing and cooking those who like it to well done.

Mine tasted delicious. Tried the well done stuff. I think I would have rather had a McDouble. Its no wonder she asked me not to buy another standing rib roast. Looks like its back to filet next year. Another battle lost!

Perhaps she was expected something more like pot roast?
by doolinbanjos  (2012-12-26 18:24:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pot roast is delicious, and is anything but "medium rare", since it is slow cooked for hours.

She may not realize the difference. I'm not sure I fully understood it for a long time. It could be that she was expecting fall-off-the-fork pot roast, and didn't understand why some of it was red and pink.

Do these things not come up on Pre-Cana?
by GRANDBABIES  (2012-12-26 18:09:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ideal rib roast has a middle that is a mere touch above rare, ensuring that the grand majority of the roast is medium rare. For those that like their rib roast well done, one can certainly provide them with the referenced baseball mitt, or the nether regions of the local women's softball coach and her two pack a day habit.... But if those won't be welcomed with opened arms, Take the cut and put it under the broiler. That is the correct solution... not the wimpy tail between the legs retreat to a tenderloin. That's something that guys from Milwaukee do.

Lovingly,

Your Full Torso Vaporous Apparition

You never studied.
by Irishguard78  (2012-12-26 19:10:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We deep fry our standing rib roasts here in Milwaukee, after soaking them overnight in beer. As wood most reasonable people.

The first time my mom cooked a steak for my dad ...
by Gatewood44  (2012-12-26 16:02:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

she served it well-done, as that was how she was raised. My dad taught her how to cook it rare the next time, the way he was raised. She made her steak with some pink in it, too. After that meal, she told him she growing up hating beef and never realized it could taste so good.

Mom was an easy convert, and all six of her kids were raised to cook and eat beef properly. She became a great cook, too.

Nothing better than a thick slice of rare prime rib!

always do this with a Kosher Salt eggshell
by fastenatingguy  (2012-12-26 15:09:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and it has turned out great each time.

Tell your wife to eat a baseball glove. It would taste
by MDDomer  (2012-12-26 13:03:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the same.

I wish I could find enough family members who appreciate it
by yooper  (2012-12-26 13:02:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My wife and I both love prime rib, and we have a local butcher that always has great roasts. Unfortunately, the rest of our families (especially the fathers) are the "well done" types. I've done standing rib roast a few times for family gatherings and I always think it's amazing, while the rest of the family grumbles about it being too bloody. My wife just today suggested we have one for New Years Eve for the two of us, but I'm a bit leery about putting 5-7 pounds of leftover prime rib in the fridge.

Inform them that the red color is not from blood
by Carroll02  (2012-12-26 14:47:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but from the protein myoglobin. Then tell them that they don't get a say in the menu for the same reason that your deaf grandmother doesn't get to pick the music.

Roasted beast
by OGerry  (2012-12-26 11:43:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

reddish pink. I can't imagine doing anything else on Christmas Day. If she likes it well done, just buy her Steakums. When we do lobster in the summer, the kids who don't like the "monster chicken" get fishsticks. Everybody's happy.

A very easy cut of meat to roast.
by dbldomer7375  (2012-12-26 11:39:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ours was spectacular.

One well done steaks...

Many years ago a group of us had a business dinner at the Pinnacle Peak Steak house outside of Phoenix. One fellow in our group asked for his steak to be cooked well done. The waiter told him they took no responsibility for any steak that was ordered well done. Our buddy was adamant. It had to be a well done steak.

When the dinner was served, we all received our steaks and a great show was made of serving our buddy a smoking cowboy boot. After much hooting and hollering, his order was served.

Similar story
by Section 12  (2012-12-26 12:46:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in Colorado that involved my sister and she loved ketchup on her steak. The waiter replied miss we'd rather piss on a steak than put ketchup on it. She looked to my father for support, he just smiled and said maybe she'd prefer a hamburger.

You have a project
by Domer58  (2012-12-26 11:39:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My wife, when we married, wanted her steak well and then used all the sauces. Being the son of a butcher, this could not happen to me. Was able to gradually wean her off the sauces then, ultimately, got her to medium rare. Takes some sweet talk, negotiations but, in the end, you will have done both of you a big favor. Tough love!

Good God! *
by Nitschke  (2012-12-26 11:31:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just have her microwave her slice
by pmcdnd96  (2012-12-26 11:17:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For thirty minutes after you finish cooking it next time. That ought to be long enough to turn it into leather.

You could always get a new wife.
by TAR  (2012-12-26 11:16:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seriously. Who ruins a prime rib by overlooking it?

Well done people have no standing to complain. *
by bigjinx74  (2012-12-26 11:10:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

....ever *
by Nitschke  (2012-12-26 11:34:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

totally agree with this! *
by discNDav  (2012-12-26 11:17:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.