Article about a fine Notre Dame Man...
by FatherMulligan (2012-12-20 11:43:42)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Who also happens to be my grandfather. He wasn't a Notre Dame graduate, as he lost his temper and left school when they cut him from the basketball team during tryouts. He always told me it was the biggest mistake of his life. Cash and others will appreciate the fact that he thoroughly enjoyed his time at Zahm Hall while he was in school and was disappointed when my dad was assigned to BP and I was assigned to St. Ed's.

His story of liberating the train during World War II is something that our family is very proud of. It was an amazing experience to be able to meet some of the children and grandchildren of the holocaust survivors he helped liberate. One survivor, who was a little girl at the time, came to visit him this past Sunday, the second to last day of his life on earth. I was able to travel to Florida to see him and speak to him one last time and observe this visit before he passed on Monday night. This linked story started with a simple high school history project by my cousin in a small town in upstate New York.

I know everyone is good for prayers at this time and I don't want to get all sappy about this, as he would have hated that. I hope you enjoy his story. My Dad and I are still shocked the Pitt game didn't finish him off, but he watched the entire game. He was shocked he made it all the way through the game too.

Cheers to my grandfather and the rest of the Greatest Generation for their contributions to our way of life.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.