Bourbon advice needed
by Santamonica (2012-12-20 11:36:00)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

It looks like I may try ABs city ham recipe for Christmas Eve, along with some eggnog. Are there any suggestions for a decent, reasonably priced bourbon for both? I had my first bourbon ever this past week (Makers Mark), and it wasn't too bad.

wild turkey 101 *
by felix  (2012-12-20 15:43:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Try Old Forester - On the Rye side. Inexpensive &
by nd5596  (2012-12-20 12:36:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

damn tasty. Similar (near identical) in flavor profile to Woodford Reserve. I love me some Woodford - but buy the OldFo to drink. Great price point & a solid bourbon. Worth a sip.

Old Overholt. Best cheap liquor ever.
by zahmnd  (2012-12-20 13:20:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also a lot better than stuff 3x its price.

If you like Maker's
by IrishCavan  (2012-12-20 11:51:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a good cheap alternative to cook with is Weller's. It is about 1/2 the price and, like Maker's, a wheated bourbon. It would go well with the egg nog as well.

Bulleit, Four Roses, Elijah Craig
by IrishHokie  (2012-12-20 11:43:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think these are all far superior to Beam, but I am not a Jim Beam fan... For reasonably priced bourbon, I think Bulleit is the best.

Bulleit and Woodford Reserve are my two favorites
by MaverickND3  (2012-12-20 13:45:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

knob creek is tasty as well.

For cooking or mixing with eggnog you don't really need
by anthro_domer  (2012-12-20 12:02:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the best stuff. Cooking is going to remove really any distinction between brands. Frankly, I'd go with Ezra Brooks or Evan Williams for cooking.

A nicer one might make a difference in eggnog, but I feel it's about as big of a waste as mixing Grey Goose with Red Bull.

Or Buffalo Trace.
by cujays96  (2012-12-20 11:51:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No sense in wasting expensive hooch on a mixer.

Bulleit or Beam are good
by ndtnguy  (2012-12-20 11:49:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've actually never had Elijah Craig or Four Roses.

But Bulleit and Beam have notably different tastes, Bulleit being a lot spicier. I think whichever of those you prefer would be a good cooking bourbon, but I can't rule out the other two recommended by IrishHokie.

Four Roses tastes a little young.
by cujays96  (2012-12-20 11:52:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a good thing Elijah Craig is an inexpensive 12 year old as it tastes like a 4 year old.

Four Roses is actually my favorite
by thejet403  (2012-12-20 14:36:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their introductory yellow label line is good, but their small batch is better and still a good value at $30. Their single barrel ($40) is melt in your mouth good. And yes, it's already a liquid so it can't technically melt but it's really that good.

Jim Beam
by bengalbout  (2012-12-20 11:40:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good all around bourbon. Decent enough to drink on its own, but not so expensive as to waste during cooking.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.