Silly question about car insurance reimbursement........
by Ty Webb (2012-12-20 10:34:04)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Yours truly backed his Jeep into a concrete pillar in a parking garage (technically, I hit the steel barrier attached to the pillar protecting a pipe). I am getting an estimate for the damage and apparently if you take it to a Geico sponsored site, they cut a check for the estimate right there and I can take the car anywhere I want.

So let's say they cut me a check for $1500 and I find my local repair guy does it for $1200. Do I keep the $300 left over or do I then cut a check back to Geico?

Technically that is fraud.
by Irishman98  (2012-12-20 15:42:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are being put In a better position than you were prior to the accident. But I won't tell if you cut me in for half!

No it isn't fraud
by Denver Jim  (2012-12-20 20:35:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Geico accepts his estimate without having their appraiser get an agreed price it's their fault and he has every right to seek a better deal and he can keep the extra. Geico knows this and probably has a policy of accepting estimates on a certain level of losses.

And as far as Keogh's below, the value of your vehicle is not reduced with a minor loss like this. I don't know where some of this stuff comes from. It's made up I suspect or people think they are experts because they had an accident once and dealt with an adjuster.

This is one of those issues where I think there's some
by KeoughCharles05  (2012-12-20 14:20:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"rough justice"

Since your vehicle will have depreciated also due to the wreck, which should be covered by the insurance (but usually isn't without special documentation and effort on your part), the extra money you might have at the end of the day probably works out about even.

It's also built into the premiums you're paying.

I grew up thinking this was standard practice
by starburns  (2012-12-20 11:00:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whenever my dad needed covered work, he got an estimate from the expensive place, got the insurance check, and then found a cheaper guy to do the work.

Not one of my parents' finer teaching moments.

The only reason I asked is........
by Ty Webb  (2012-12-20 11:22:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the local GMC dealership here has done body work for my family in the past and fixed my wife's Infiniti when some old guy rammed her in a bowling alley parking lot last year. They do great work, are relatively inexpensive and guarantee their work. They are not a Geico sponsored repair shop (if you use one, they guarantee the work for life but this is a leased car) though.

So what will likely happen, according to the body shop guy at the GMC place, is the Geico estimator will likely cut me a check for a larger amount than what the body shop will charge me.

So I was curious

Oh I wasn't criticizing.
by Starburns  (2012-12-20 12:11:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This sounds different. My parents were big on shopping it around. If geico is willing to just cut you a check, go on.

claims adjusters are not morons
by jt  (2012-12-20 13:56:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if they were so willing to cut your old man a check for that amount without hesitation, perhaps he should have found an even more expensive place.

If your wife is getting rammed in bowling alley parking lots
by Keenan4w  (2012-12-20 11:31:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You've got bigger concerns than insurance payouts.

she was just helping a nice old man that loves having sex *
by jt  (2012-12-20 13:16:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I walked right into that one.....
by Ty Webb  (2012-12-20 12:07:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hahaha.

Sounds like she may have too. *
by Keenan4w  (2012-12-20 12:44:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well done
by Nohow  (2012-12-20 12:59:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You keep it *
by T_Allen  (2012-12-20 10:47:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.