What's the hardest thing about writing fiction?
by volley (2012-12-20 10:12:28)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

And how did you overcome it?

Sobriety. *
by 89Swine  (2012-12-20 13:44:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mickey Spillane thought so. *
by LocalSubAlum  (2012-12-20 13:47:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Once I log on to my computer and open my billing software..
by Marine Domer  (2012-12-20 12:14:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the rest is easy.

Here's a two step process
by BacTien  (2012-12-20 11:14:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Write till the end (forget word count etc. Tell your tale.)

2. The real writing begins on the second go around. Add, subtract, polish, eliminate and so on until you get to the end.

Starting.
by cincysubdomer  (2012-12-20 10:48:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"The night was..."

...clear and the moon was yellow. And the leaves
by ArasEra  (2012-12-20 14:25:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

came tumbling down.

sultry. it's too damn sultry in here. *
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2012-12-20 13:33:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pulling himself from the pool after his morning
by Buck Mulligan  (2012-12-20 11:02:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

five-mile swim. As he eased his 6'4" frame into the medieval, hay-filled chaise lounge, he took note of his surroundings.

It was his habit, as a former member of the castle's elite high level security squad. Old habits died hard.

And so did Vikings.

Chapter 2: A Handmaiden No More

*** exerpt from Storm Night by James Patterson (dictated not read)

"It was a dark and stormy night" *
by Father Nieuwland  (2012-12-20 10:56:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...stank. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2012-12-20 10:54:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a dark and skanky night. *
by Revue Party  (2012-12-20 11:02:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

winner! *
by irish tenor  (2012-12-20 13:42:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Telling the truth *
by MDDomer  (2012-12-20 10:45:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Putting your ass in the chair.
by Revue Party  (2012-12-20 10:41:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Writing fiction is easy. Sit down. Type. About 85,000 - 100,000 words later, you'll have a story.

Writing good fiction? Well, that's different. Three simple rules.

1. Write. And write. And write. Shoot for 100,000 words in six months. How hard is that? It's a half and hour a day. Talking about writing isn't writing. Learning about writing isn't writing. Rewriting is writing, though.

2. Read. And read. And read. You can't get better if you don't read. So read some more. Especially your genre. Study it. Understand it. Read some more.

3. Critique. This is the silver bullet to creating a short cut. The sooner you have someone who understands the craft of writing critique your work, the faster you'll get better.

But writing fiction isn't hard. You just fucking do it. Go write 1,000 words, now. It'll take you an hour. It doesn't matter if it sucks.

Making it sound plausible. I've found the key is the opening
by Father Nieuwland  (2012-12-20 10:25:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which is why I begin most of my work with:

"Dear Penthouse Forum: I never thought this would happen to me, but I swear every word is true..."

There once
by Khaddafi  (2012-12-20 11:01:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

. . . was a man from Wisconsin . . .

Bridging the gap
by captaineclectic  (2012-12-20 10:24:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Between the kind of shit you feel like writing about and an interesting story.

Related: the details that make someone else give a shit about your creation.

Related: pace.

"would I want to read this?"
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2012-12-20 13:40:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

related: "would I still want to be reading this?"

And "...would anyone ELSE?"
by captaineclectic  (2012-12-20 14:09:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Really, CE, the fifth page of debate about how the magic system works is a little much."

"Well, in a real world with magic, entire PHILOSOPHIES would be based on how it works! It would be debated for aeons!"

"...zzz..."

see, I don't think so.
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2012-12-20 17:11:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

let other people write about what other people would want to read.

I, personally, would read five pages of your "Philosophy of Magic in CEs World" because you would come by your passion for it honestly.

You jest, but
by captaineclectic  (2012-12-20 18:59:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

more seriously, passion does not render clumsy exposition unclumsy.

And "characters debate metaphysics as a device to reveal worldbuilding" is clumsy.

of course. (edit)
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2012-12-20 19:02:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was assuming talent and a modicum of craftsmanship. obviously, you still have to execute.

Edit: I was actually being serious.

I'm happy to email you
by captaineclectic  (2012-12-20 19:14:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

chapters of my bullshit if interested.

I'll do you one better: I am happy to give you license to critique.

holy crap, it already exists?
by HoltzBeWithUs (click here to email the poster)  (2012-12-20 19:44:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought you were speaking, you know, abstractly.

obviously, I'd be honored.

...it's a work in progress.
by captaineclectic  (2012-12-20 19:48:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Enjoy.

be warned, however
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2012-12-20 20:06:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm pretty brutal.

I've sent Austin's novel back 6 times already.

he thinks that just by putting a strapping guy on the cover in a shredded shirt that he can move copies off of those grocery store aisles...

Procrastination.
by Porpoiseboy  (2012-12-20 10:18:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I haven't fixed it, yet.

I've decided I'm going to stop procrastinating...
by LocalSubAlum  (2012-12-20 10:20:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...one of these days.

My New Year's resolution
by captaineclectic  (2012-12-20 10:26:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To finally get around to starting procrastinating.

Only if it was this year's resolution. *
by dbldomer7375  (2012-12-20 10:32:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Being a shit writer.
by CMillar  (2012-12-20 10:17:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Acid.

Fear. *
by ndtiger  (2012-12-20 10:15:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.