Just got a prime standing rib roast for Christmas. Despite
by Bengalbout (2012-12-19 18:42:00)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

The obvious not so subtle brag, i think this is the first time i have seen prime beef in a grocery. Not only prime, but dry aged. The butcher spent a lot of time explaining the dark coating on the meat. Is this becoming more prevalent?

I did one last year.
by IrishCavan  (2012-12-19 22:17:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was very good but also so rich that it was hard to eat more than a small piece. This may be sacrilege, but when it comes to rib eye and rib roast, I think I prefer choice over prime for a dinner.

How you cooking it? I did one salt encrusted, pretty amazing *
by alamo irish  (2012-12-19 19:47:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was thinking about that. Not sure yet *
by bengalbout  (2012-12-19 20:01:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A new store in my neighborhood is doing it as well
by The Beef  (2012-12-19 18:57:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Mariano's Fresh Market in the West Loop (Chicago) carries dry aged beef and prime non-aged beef. I still buy it from the local butcher because he is substantially less expensive, but its nice to have a choice. Dominick's (Safeway) meat selection and quality blows.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.