Niagara Falls in the winter?
by 3aOneill08 (2012-12-16 02:22:09)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I'm considering a day trip from Cleveland to Niagara Falls this week, but unfortunately didn't think to bring my passport with me from Chicago.

My first question is whether it is worth visiting the American side of the falls at this time of year. I've heard about some light displays on the Canadian side but don't know if there will be much on the U.S. side. If I go, I'd be interested in some recommendations for what to do/see since I've never been.

Thanks in advance, back room.

US Side No
by Lyons74  (2012-12-16 03:07:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wait until you can cross the border. The American side is not nice.

the town of NF may not be nice, but
by 310Dillon  (2012-12-16 14:27:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Goat Island is great, and a wonderful place to walk around and take pictures.

Agree much
by maniactranspodriver  (2012-12-17 07:07:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did this while visiting my parents over Thanksgiving on a whim. We don't have passports and its not like the good old days where crossing the Rainbow Bridge, especially for WNYers was a simple verbal attestation of citizenship.

The Niagara Falls State Park was very enjoyable and without the commercial tourist trap of Clifton Hill on the Canadian side. Growing up in WNY, we most often went to the Canadian side. We also had some nice rainbows appear while walking down near Terrapin Point on Goat Island from the waves of mist and the setting sun that G4 and G14 were amazed with.

Also recommend for anyone with a Notre Dame affinity and a little adventurous to stop in at Gadawski's on Falls St. Most of the immediate neighborhood residences have been taken over by Niagara Falls Redevelopment and vacated, and the area is a little sketchy, but having been there once to watch a game, it is a true Notre Dame tavern with good Polish food. Eddie Gadawski is a die hard subway alumnus and a treasure of memories.

Even the Canadian side in the winter is so-so at best.
by LastDon  (2012-12-16 04:35:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The whole area is very beautiful in the snow, but there's not a whole lot of action around after 6pm or so. Just a lot of boredom and, I suppose, alcohol to pass the time. The American side is about the same but a lot lighter on the beauty.

on the other hand,
by 310Dillon  (2012-12-16 14:30:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the crowds in the summer are brutal, and in my opinion make it impossible to enjoy the falls. I actually prefer it there in the winter.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.