Christmas party music playlist suggestions...go.
by Aces-Up (2012-12-15 12:23:22)
Edited on 2012-12-15 13:41:49
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Many of the typical songs, while great in their own right, can make for kind of slow party music when combined one after another. Looking for suggestions to add to my list, which already includes the likes if Buble, Weezer, Beach Boys, Jackson 5 and other Motown, some country Christmas tunes, and the obligatory Mariah/Wham/NSync/etc. What other artists have worthy Christmas offerings? Oh I forgot I also already have Twisted Sister's.

Edit: I should add that I am soliciting suggestions for both a) versions of traditional Christmas tunes performed by good/modern artists (e.g. Darius Rucker, "Walking In A Winter Wonderland, Jackson 5 "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"), as well as b) Christmas-y songs by good artists (e.g. The Pogues "Fairytale of New York" or The Kinks offering posted below).

C'Mon Man Where do you live??? A little Kermit Ruffins
by 47Bolcar  (2012-12-16 09:52:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With the Saints in the Super Bowl

Many great renditions here (link)
by Kayo  (2012-12-15 23:44:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A rocking version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
by Irish88  (2012-12-15 20:27:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And a metal version.
by NDBass  (2012-12-15 20:48:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought I covered this in the wake up call thread.
by ArasEra  (2012-12-15 18:49:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

AC/DC - Mistress for Christmas *
by NDBass  (2012-12-15 17:20:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's been a while, now...
by Porpoiseboy  (2012-12-15 16:53:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and no Seger recs. Things are looking up for the BR!

Grandaddy - Alan Parsons Wonderland
by Mr.Natural  (2012-12-15 16:20:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Billy joe Shaver - Feliz Navidad

Will try to come up with a few more.

Just a few...
by ewillND  (2012-12-15 16:12:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Il est né le divine enfant--Souxie and the Banshees

I Saw Three Ships--Sting Live from Durham Cathedral

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)-- Darlene Love

Baby It's Cold Outside--Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Jordan

Winter Wonderland--Harry Connick, Jr. (the version from the When Harry Met Sally soundtrack) and/or Jason Mraz

Please Come Home For Christmas--Aaron Neville

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen--Barenaked Ladies

Celebrate Me Home--Kenny Loggins

Merry Christmas (I Don't Wanna Fight Tonight) -- The Ramones

Thank God It's Christmas--Queen

2000 Miles--The Pretenders

Merry Christmas from the Family--Robert Earl Keen

'Zat You Santa Claus? -- Louie Armstrong

Ella Fitzgerald Wishes You A Swinging Christmas
by NDLabRat  (2012-12-15 15:50:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of the best Christmas albums ever. Ella sings the "fun" holiday songs like no-one else can.

Also:
"Run Rudolf Run" by Chuck Berry
"Sleigh Ride" by the Brian Setzer Orchestra
"Winter Wonderland" by Peggy Lee
"Happy Xmas (War is Over)" by John Lennon
"Little Drummer Boy/Silent Night/Auld Lang Syne" by Jimi Hendrix

Bootsy Collins's "Silent Night"
by gozer  (2012-12-15 15:45:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Otis Redding
by theblackwatch  (2012-12-15 14:51:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sounds like you already have it covered, but Otis Redding's version of White Christmas. Ravonettes' Christmas Song, too, I suppose.

For your final "Christmas-y" category, personal favorite I throw on is Dave Matthew's The Maker. Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds had an amazing version at Radio City a few years back, but some more upbeat versions out there too.

Blind Boys of Alabama - When Was Jesus Born [spoiler alert]
by JD in Portland  (2012-12-15 14:45:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it was the last month of the year

2 more must haves given your criteria
by JD in Portland  (2012-12-15 14:52:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anything from the Phil Spector Christmas record though I am particularly partial to "Marshmallow World" by Darlene Love.
And "Jesus Christ" by Big Star, below.

A few.
by Rockbrig97  (2012-12-15 14:42:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Run Rudolph Run by Chuck Berry.

U2-Christmas (Baby Come Home)

DMB-The Christmas Song

Anything from Sulfjan Stevens' Christmas album http://music.sufjan.com/album/songs-for-christmas

If you have access to Pandora, we love the Indie Holiday and the Christmas Rock stations.

Barbra Streisand's "Jingle Bells"...
by kbyrnes  (2012-12-15 14:41:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...thusly:

It's a party, not a torture session *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2012-12-15 14:43:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No Doubt's version of Oi To The World,
by Irish Tool  (2012-12-15 14:35:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Squirrel Nut Zippers- Sleigh Ride
Eve 6 - The First Noel
SR-71 - Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You
Richard Cheese - Christmas in Las Vegas
Barenaked Ladies - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Relient K - Handel's Messiah

If you don't include REK, cancel the party
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2012-12-15 14:07:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things"
by Irishted  (2012-12-15 13:49:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure exactly why the song is played during the holidays, but whatever ... his version is thirteen minutes plus of awesomeness.

And of course, "Mistress for Christmas" from AC/DC.

Get out of my head!
by OGerry  (2012-12-15 14:31:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was going to say exactly both of those.

YUP. And Sinatra, Martin, Armstrong and a Redding song
by Buck Mulligan  (2012-12-15 14:21:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

before you allow Buble into the mix.

"Buble in the mix"
by Porpoiseboy  (2012-12-15 14:53:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A phrase I shall never utter.

Perry and Andy are good additions, too. If one is so inclined, add Harry Connick Jr.

Twisted Sister. Here you go. [v]
by The Holtz Room  (2012-12-15 13:44:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I celebrate their entire Christmas Album.

You have wisdom beyond your years *
by Irishboy89  (2012-12-15 20:12:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Christmas in Hollis
by mocoirish  (2012-12-15 13:38:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Crunk Christmas music
by frosh  (2012-12-15 13:37:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not suitable for work, obviously

Father Christmas - The Kinks *
by A1Leprechaun  (2012-12-15 13:20:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bob River's Twisted Christmas. Apparently
by anthro_domer  (2012-12-15 12:45:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pandora has a Christmas Wrap (get it?!) station. I discovered this last night. It was pretty fantastic.

A Christmas Gift For You
by Shadyirish  (2012-12-15 12:35:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From Philles Records

Put your trust in this man ...
by Irishted  (2012-12-15 13:59:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seconded. My favorite. *
by meatwhistle  (2012-12-15 13:55:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.