Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing if the world ended 12/21.
by Giggity_Giggity (2012-12-14 17:20:37)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I just can't read about this stuff anymore. I can only cope by avoiding the news, which is a copout but it's the only way I can stay sane. My sweet wife, though, cannot separate herself from bad news. I never thought I'd see her more upset than she was on 9/11. Then the VT massacre happened and she sobbed for two days watching her beloved alma mater bleed and grieve on the news. Now she's inconsolable at home with our kindergartner, dying a little bit every few minutes when she thinks of the parents in Connecticut who don't have that luxury anymore.

What a world, what a world.

Read Kierkegaard. *
by radical  (2012-12-16 05:23:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The pain of losing a child can not be imagined.
by IAND75  (2012-12-14 20:01:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That 20 sets of parents are going through this right now is beyond my comprehension.

300 million people in this country
by atthedome  (2012-12-14 19:55:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That will never commit this kind of act. Humans have violence in our nature rooted back from our survival of the fittest days. Its in all of us, but most of us have been civilized and avoid this. The world is getting more peaceful by the day - violence is basically at its lowest level in the history of our species.

To me a lot of it is just probabilities. Billions of people on this earth and a few go wrong. It is no reason to give up on humanity when billions are doing good and far outnumbering those who do bad.

Nice post! People are inherently good. *
by irishlala  (2012-12-15 01:43:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a fine post. *
by Rudy36  (2012-12-14 22:41:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good post. *
by wetbird  (2012-12-14 20:56:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There have been more people murdered in the US,
by WilfordBrimley  (2012-12-14 19:40:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or at least close to, between when that happened and right now than there were killed at Sandy Hook.

It was a grisly, ghastly, evil act, but lesser acts of evil go unnoticed every day. On the other hand, small and large acts of good and great deeds go unnoticed as well.

Despair is a mortal sin; we must not surrender *
by Slide Kelly slide  (2012-12-14 19:34:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think despair is a mortal sin.
by PWK2  (2012-12-15 08:40:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Jesus despaired in the garden. No one ever accused him of a mortal sin.

Despair is not the same as sadness or fear or heartbreak.
by PamBeesly  (2012-12-15 13:55:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jesus may have been sad, scared, and worried in the garden, but he didn't despair. Someone who is in despair doesn't say, "... not my will, but yours." That line is a sign of total trust in God to carry things through according to the Divine Plan. Despair, on the other hand, implies a belief that God is not good/powerful enough to bring goodness out of a situation--that there is no hope for salvation. And despair in general--the mortal sin--is different from despairing of a particular thing. E.g., at a certain point, Jesus may have despaired of avoiding crucifixion, but that doesn't mean he fell into the mortal sin kind of despair.

Even when He was on the cross, Jesus' exclamation of "Oh God, oh God, why have you abandoned me?" is not a sign of despair. Aside from being a reference to Psalm 22, asking why God has turned his face away from us is a different concept from losing hope in God's salvation. The former is compatible with the belief that God could save us if he chose to in his wisdom, and the trust that God is in charge and infinitely smarter and more loving than we are.

Despair is a total loss of hope. A total loss of hope means a complete denial of God's ability to save us--either he's not all good & all powerful, or he doesn't exist at all.

And yes, if you're a Catholic, there's no equivocation in Church teaching--it's a mortal sin.

The unforgiveable sin is the sin against the Holy Spirit
by captaineclectic  (2012-12-14 20:17:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thomas Aquinas said that this was

--despair -- to think that even God could not redeem a set of circumstances (equivalent to a rejection of redemption when offered)

--presumption -- to think that one can be pardoned without repentance (how could such a sin, logically, be forgiven when forgiveness rests on repentance?)

--resistance -- naming a known truth as a lie out of pride

--envy of grace of another

--impenitence -- to refuse to repent a known sin out of pride or stubbornness

--obstinancy -- to refuse to believe that an act is sinful in spite of evidence, because the act is dearer to one than the truth.

In other words, you are right.

This was my sentiment earlier today
by sophomaniac  (2012-12-14 19:25:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a day that feels like the world is perhaps ready. Like we peaked and are watching the decline. It's not just the shooting, it's the spreading deterioration of humanity manifested in a horrible tragedy. There are phenomenal people in this world, but sometimes it feels like the evil is spreading. I hope Hell is particularly hot today.

Whoever is unjust let him be unjust still
Whoever is righteous let him be righteous still
Whoever is filthy let him be filthy still
Listen to the words long written down
When the Man comes around

Well...maybe 1/8/13 *
by captaineclectic  (2012-12-14 19:03:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What the f**k should we expect?
by Milhouse  (2012-12-14 18:55:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know why this sort of thing comes as a surprise. Our society degrades its members at every turn. We embrace death and denigrate life at every turn. We butcher a million unborn children every year and thousands more of the born. What is more in keeping with that kind of society than killing your parents and opening fire in a kindergarten, or shooting up a movie theater, or shooting up a mall?

That doesn't explain the 1922 worst event
by 88_92WSND  (2012-12-14 20:42:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which left 38 students, 45 people total plus the bastard who carried it out.

You're right.
by Milhouse  (2012-12-14 21:08:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hadn't read about that one before. That's incredible.

It's a world with a lot of good though. This website, ND
by anthro_domer  (2012-12-14 18:41:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in general and a whole lot of other places remind us that evil isn't the only option for humans. It's sad to see one evil person cause so much harm, but it's also possible for one person to cause even more good.

It's certainly a sad day and there's nothing wrong with being upset about it. But don't give up on humans yet. We're not all bad. Some of them make great beer for you to drink and enjoy.

Thomas Merton made this point in arguing that evil is...
by FL_Irish  (2012-12-14 21:42:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...actually proof of God's existence rather than his non-existence. Man has done horrible, horrible things to each other throughout history and yet rather than completely descending into barbarity we recover and generally try to do good.

Thanks for this post
by sophomaniac  (2012-12-14 19:34:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I posted above before reading all the comments.

I'm lucky enough to work from home. The news was so gutting I couldn't really focus on my work, so I just gave it up and went inside to hang out with my 21-month-old until I was sufficiently satisfied that, yes, there is plenty of beauty in this world and it outweighs the negative. But, damn, it's been really hard to keep that in perspective with this topic being everywhere.

Well-said. *
by captaineclectic  (2012-12-14 19:05:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is why I don't buy into the notion that this act
by Papa November  (2012-12-14 18:50:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

represents the downfall of our society. This was one man. And we're all distraught over it.

When we stop noticing something like this, then it's time to nuke the place. For now, I'm not going to let the actions of one man destroy my faith in humanity.

Do you think this has any staying power?
by jerseyirish07  (2012-12-14 19:01:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do you really believe that on Monday, when some celebrity has a nip slip or cheats on their significant other, that we won't collectively be so distracted that 98% of us stop thinking about this?

Now that I've got my cynicism out the way, I do think it raises a legitimate question. How long does this have to stay in our collective conscious to conclude that we "care enough?" I'm not sure what the answer is, but our collective attention spans are certainly getting shorter.

I'm with Papa and anthro here
by irishcrusader  (2012-12-14 19:24:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so long as there is one single person who legitimately cares about others there is hope. It feels like we're failing, feels like the world has been turned on its head, feels like we can not win. But so long as we continue to care about others the world is not doomed. It's fucking hard as hell, but the only thing to do here is to become a better person, and hope your example saves a soul or two...because if everyone did that then evil, especially evil this blatant, would be washed from the face of the earth.

I can't give up because for all the evil I've seen today, the world is still capable of great good. But it is a constant and often unfulfilling fight, one where you can't see the gains nearly as easily as the losses.

Anyway I am now taking off my hat of sincerity and will return to being my normal sarcastic self on the board tomorrow.

It's a hard and lonely fight to continue to care, to be a good person, but a worthy one.

The world ends every day for someone.
by wetbird  (2012-12-14 18:35:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I know what you meant.

Every man dies
by DBCooper  (2012-12-14 18:46:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not every man really lives

We aren't getting off that easy. *
by Papa November  (2012-12-14 18:32:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've cried three times today with my students
by teachme  (2012-12-14 17:28:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are high school kids. They come from rough areas and broken homes in South LA. We have nearly 20% foster youth. We lost one of our students last summer to a drive-by shooting on July 4th. Another of our students was shot 3 times on Halloween night. They understand the dangers and perils of living here. They don't like it; but they understand. We all can just not fathom what happened. To those innocents. Those poor babies. Those poor families. The lack of humanity. The way you are supposed to go on with your lives.

Today was going to be a happy, joyous day for us as we embark on a 3 week break. Now there's a cloud hanging over every one of us, dropping raindrops like tears down our cheeks.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.