Feel free to scream at me if you want, but...
by hick (2012-12-14 14:39:23)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: what can be done? seriously. What action can we take  posted by jreednd

I don't think anything should be done. People need to realize that the odds of this happening to their kids are fantastically tiny, and attempts to prevent it will be burdensome and probably futile.

The headline story on Drudge quotes a local woman who says “Newtown is a quiet town. I’d never expect this to happen here. It’s so scary. Your kids are not safe anywhere.”

Her reaction is obviously understandable, but what she said is totally false. Kids in the U.S. today have better overall life outcomes than almost any kids, anywhere, ever in the history of the world.

The posters in this thread are scattered around the country, and yet we all heard about this almost in real time. Television and the internet are so scaleable now that hundreds of millions of people hear about isolated, extreme events instantly. The emotion that comes from the traumatic images totally overwhelms any effort to see things statistically.

I don't know any kids who have been abducted or killed in a school shooting, but I do know plenty of people who drive their kids 500 feet to the bus stop and then make them wait in the car until the bus arrives, because anything less secure would just be too frightening. I doubt the long term effects of that kind of mentality will be healthy.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.