Looking for deadbolt suggestions
by DoubleDomer0307 (2012-12-10 23:35:08)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

My fiance just moved into his new rental house today (which will be our house after we're married in May). Both the front and back doors have windows near them. My fiance's concern is that someone could break one of the windows and turn the deadbolt. He wants to put deadbolts that lock with a key on the inside as well as the outside. I feel that this is a terrible idea for multiple reasons. Does anyone have any ideas for good solutions to this problem? He already plans to have an alarm system installed as well. I was looking at the electronic deadbolts, but I can't find one that has the electronic key pad on both sides. Thanks.

Most of the time the burglars bypass the lock
by catiemcd  (2012-12-11 09:22:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and just kick in the door. We installed these on our doors. They reinforce the door frame to prevent or at least dramatically slow down someone trying to kick in your door.

You can accomplish much of the same by using longer screws
by grnd  (2012-12-11 09:36:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There should be at least two vertical studs forming the lock side of the door frame. Installing the strike plate with heavier 3" screws will ensure that you are taking full advantage of all of the strength that is there.

Screws arent the weak point
by tenn_subway  (2012-12-11 10:33:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's the tiny little piece of wood behind your deadbolt where the hole was cut in the wood frame. Something to reinforce the frame will make it tougher to kick in than using longer screws. The linked product looks good but I would think it more important to have something on the back side of the frame.

Edit: I guess it depends on how you look at it.
by grnd  (2012-12-11 10:41:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The bolt goes through a metal strike plate into that "tiny piece of wood" called the door jamb (usually 3/4" thick). The strike plate is not going to fail. If all you do, however, is affix the strike plate to the door jamb with 1" screws, then it is quite easy to cause the screws holding the strike plate to the jamb to fail and open the door (basically, you can cause the door jamb to crack). What failed there? The jamb certainly but the only because the screws were not providing sufficient reinforcement.

If you affix the strike plate to the studs behind the door jamb with longer, heavier screws you are no longer relying just upon the jambs for strength and it becomes much more difficult to cause the door to fail.

this saved my home from burglary.
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2012-12-11 09:39:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a two inch dead bolt and three inch screws held despite an attempted kicking/ramming/beating in of the door.

it was a near thing but the Police Officer said the combination of those two was the only thing keeping the door in place.

does not really matter.
by die4irish  (2012-12-11 00:41:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If they want in they will get in. I secure foreclosed homes and can get into any lock you put on in 30 seconds.

I realize a lock is just a delaying device
by DoubleDomer0307  (2012-12-11 01:51:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And that if someone really wants to get in, they'll get in. They point is really deterrents (like the alarm system) and delays (like the double-key deadbolt).

try this then (link)
by die4irish  (2012-12-11 07:48:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I looked at those
by DoubleDomer0307  (2012-12-11 12:56:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My problem is that all the ones I looked at have the keypad only on the outside, so the inside is still the same lever like on a regular deadbolt, so it's not really an improvement in the situation.

Double-keyed deadbolts are a no-brainer, unless you have
by Milhouse  (2012-12-10 23:40:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

kids.

Just put the key nearby -- in a cabinet, on a shelf, on a hook -- but not so close that it can be reached from the window and not visible from that window.

They are necessary for my kids.
by Rudy36  (2012-12-11 09:16:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My toddler loved opening the deadbolt and making a run for it.

Not anymore.

Keys are relatively cheap. Put 5 of them nearby. *
by Tex Francisco  (2012-12-11 08:33:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

make sure one stays in the lock. *
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2012-12-11 08:36:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Second this
by newogem  (2012-12-11 08:53:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First time I heard it from a police officer giving a safety speech, it made absolute perfect sense to me. A light bulb revelation. I had to convince my in-laws who kept it on top of the door frame. Police officer's response to that was, "And what happens when you knock it to the floor while trying to escape the fire?"

Why buy a double-keyed lock then? *
by Rudy36  (2012-12-11 09:14:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For when you're not at home. *
by Tex Francisco  (2012-12-11 09:54:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

oh, I wasn't being serious. *
by HoltzBeWithUs  (2012-12-11 08:55:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seconded. Just leave a key nearby. *
by vitadulcedospes  (2012-12-11 08:00:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.