Father Miceli Died Yesterday
by spike85 (2012-12-10 19:37:14)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Long-time Rector of Cavanaugh Hall and instructor
of the well-known Biblical Themes course. A strict Rector,
true, but a generous and good priest.

I picked Cavanaugh Hall because it was centrally located...
by ndmck  (2012-12-11 19:41:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the then Mayor of Detroit was named Cavanagh. I started a long tradition with family and friends. My parents loved Father Miceli from the minute he told them that his dorm had the highest GPA on campus. A friend followed. His dad struck up such a close relationship with Miceli that he got Miceli's car parking pass. Miceli had no car. My brother followed with other locals. He was tough but loyal to his boys, defending us from higher authorities.

Obit (link)
by El Kabong  (2012-12-11 09:30:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

RIP
by SneakyPete  (2012-12-11 08:34:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I used to live across the hall from him my sophomore year. I played guitar and had a small amplifier that I used in the room from time to time. Of course, it was always too loud and he'd bang on the door to tell me to turn it down.

From time to time we'd talk about what equipment to use during mass and one night he talked to me about what to use for vocals (I think he'd hit the sacramental wine a bit). We hooked a mic up the my tiny amplifier and he was like a little kid with a toy. He put it in the middle of the hallway and as soon as he heard his voice go through the amplifier, his face just lit up. It was right around the 1989 president election and he started talking into the mic "Men of Cavanaugh! Vote for Bush! Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush...."

I kept a straight face and didn't want to tell him that I bet the men of Cavanaugh would probably vote for bush any night of the week.

Oh God, I remember that *
by El Kabong  (2012-12-11 09:44:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Raid (May, 1965)
by BeijingIrish  (2012-12-11 02:57:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I posted this a few years ago. I repeat it in Fr. Miceli's honor:

Two events defined my class' freshman year (1964-65): (1) In the fall, the battle waged by the brave men of Farley against the MSU band which ended in a decisive victory for the Farley lads not different from the decisive victory achieved by Ara's lads in the stadium an hour earlier; and, (2) in the spring, the raid carried out by the same stalwarts against Cavanaugh in retribution for its "Day of Infamy" sneak attack on our guard, Ralph.

In those days, the campus engaged daily in various male masculinity rites. Notre Dame was awash in testosterone, a very different place from today's mellow campus populated by former high school class presidents who think a quarterback sneak is a quidditch maneuver. No girls, no cars, weekend classes, jackets and ties for dinner. Among other things, we were much handsomer than today's students.

There was also a freshman quad: Farley, Cavanaugh, Keenan, Stanford, and Breen-Phillips. Zahm faced the quad, but Zahm floated above it all, its denizens content to remain aloof and cloistered in the serene magnificence of the Versailles of Dorms. There were rivalries. Keenan and Stanford were rivals. One wonders for what. The shame of having lived in one of those monstrosities remains with former occupants to this day. No one paid much attention to Breen-Phillips. I'm not sure I knew anyone who lived there, and I have never set foot in the place. B-P had no rivalries because it seemed like all the residents were dead.

The real drama, the tension, that thing which animated the Freshman Quad, was the intense rivalry between Farley and Cavanaugh. It was expressed in terms of Interhall football (Farley the winner), academic prowess (Farley clear leader), and other facets of campus life at antediluvian Notre Dame.

One other thing: Our rector, Fr. James Buckley, was a kind, decent man who was assisted on the upper floors by men who were so intimidated by their charges that they rarely ventured outside their rooms. The priest on our floor, Father H, was already psychologically fragile from having witnessed a fart-lighting contest one night as he did his rounds. On the night Tom G said, "Hi Father, you getting any these days?", he retreated to his room, and we never saw him again. I think the order transferred him to the University of Portland after he completed his therapy. I had Father Buckley for a philosophy course (Metaphysics) a year or so later, and I asked him about Father H. Buckley looked away, shook his head, and suggested something to the effect that all the Farley men from my year should go to confession.

By contrast, Cavanaugh's rector was Fr. Miceli, a terrifying man whose fearsome reputation for cruelty was legend. One rarely went near the place because you didn't know if you might be accosted by Miceli for something. It was said that he wore one regular shoe and one tennis shoe when he prowled the hall at night so that when he ran it sounded like he was walking. In this way, he could surprise some poor guy reading Playboy with a flashlight under the covers after lights out.

It all started one evening in the spring when a small gang of Cavanaugh guys barged into the front door of our dorm and covered our guard with shaving cream. It was an entirely unprovoked attack. Cowardly as well since the dorm was nearly empty--the Farley men, Mensa candidates for the most part, were at the library studying. Or we might have been at the Huddle. Anyway, the Cavanaugh guys thought that they had done a great thing. They ran across the quad, screaming like young girls, into the then-safe confines of their dorm. Little did they know that in about 10 hours, they would be in their death throes gasping for air.

Ralph didn't know what to do. Witnesses reported that he just sat mute, wiping off the shaving cream. A couple of guys got a towel so he could clean himself up. A few people said Ralph appeared to think it was kind of funny. I'm not surprised--Ralph was a nice guy. He didn't say much most of the time, and his red, bulbous nose belied his major hobby. But he was our guy, and he was on our side. He would write down 12 midnight on the nightly sign-in sheet when it was actually 00:15. To have him humiliated was simply not acceptable.

Word spread pretty fast, and a meeting was convened in the dorm basement once everyone had returned to the dorm. It was immediately agreed that we would retaliate, but it would not be tit-for-tat. It would be Dresden + Hiroshima. My Farley mates readily agreed to my proposal that we launch a sneak attack at 4am.

Here is the plan of which I was the principal author: My best friend and I had got to know our way around the steam tunnels that run underneath the campus. We'd been all the way down to the Rock and actually went swimming in the middle of the night in the pool. One night we went into the North Dining Hall and made peanut butter and jelly sammies. We knew the way to Cavanaugh.

We had access to the tunnels because the guy who had the snack concession in our dorm had a key to the store room where he stored his inventory and the grocery cart that he rolled around the floors each night. One could enter the tunnels from the store room if you were skinny and didn't have claustrophobia.

In those days, the doors of the dorms were locked at 10:30pm except for the front door. If you entered a dorm after 10:30pm, you had to enter via the front door. All the other doors were locked. One could open the other doors from the inside, but that was forbidden except in the event of fire. Thus, the plan called for us to enter Cavanaugh in the basement from the steam tunnel, open the doors out of sight of the guard, and allow the raiding party to enter.

A major facet of the plan was making sure Miceli didn't capture any of us. Therefore, he had to be trapped in his room. This would be accomplished by tying his door knob to another door or to whatever we could get purchase on, e.g., a radiator. This would be accomplished quietly by the guys who entered the dorm from the tunnel.

Meanwhile, groups began to prepare the weapons of mass destruction. Mixed in wastepaper baskets, the stuff had different ingredients: Absorbine Junior; Coca-Cola; a few guys pee'd in the waste baskets. Evil-smelling vapors swirled off the top of the liquid in some of the baskets. Who knows what was in there.

The raid went off like clockwork. I couldn’t believe it, but we had nearly 100% participation, and at 4am, that's pretty impressive for a men's college. The tunnel guys did their job, Miceli's door was tied off, and the entire raiding party barged into Cavanaugh though the doors the tunnel raiders opened. We poured our chemical weapons into every room on the first floor. The place was entirely trashed. The Cavanaugh people were screaming in panic, Miceli was pounding on his door, the place reeked. The wax on the linoleum floors peeled off because the mixture was so potent. The Cavanaugh guard just sat there pretending to see nothing.

Father Buckley never said a thing. He admitted to me years later that not only had his spies alerted him to the fact that there would be a raid, but that he watched the raid from his room. He said he chuckled as he watched us creep across the quad, then run laughing and hollering across the quad as we returned to the dorm.

With Miceli, things were different. As soon as he was released from his room, Miceli press-ganged Cavanaugh residents into work parties for clean-up chores that continued through the day and into the evening. They were cleaning up for days. For the rest of the school year, we teased the Cavanaugh guys about what was in the wastepaper baskets.

Great story, BI *
by NavyJoe  (2012-12-11 08:55:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rest in peace.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2012-12-10 23:57:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I knew little about ND but tried to get into Cavanaugh Hall because of a recommendation about Fr. Miceli.

I heard about the legendary "The ball rolls at midnight tonight!" story.

God bless the old goat, he finally gets the bowling ball. *
by johneye  (2012-12-10 23:40:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Bring the urinals back to Cavanaugh!!!"
by Needamirer  (2012-12-10 21:36:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was his final line at mass one Sunday in 1994 (Cavanaugh's last year as a male dorm) . He stated that we all needed to go out and make as much money as possible and then donate it to the University for the construction of a new female dorm so we could "bring the urinals back to Cavanaugh."

God bless the "Mooch."

Yes, I remember that line. Hilarious! *
by irishrage  (2012-12-11 10:48:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He had just celebrated his 60th anniversary as a priest
by Otis  (2012-12-10 20:04:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got this link from a dormmate

Damn
by IRISH_6  (2012-12-10 20:03:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was instrumental in both my father and my lives and me going to Notre Dame

I remember him in the 70s at Cavanaugh, where several...
by Kbyrnes  (2012-12-10 20:03:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...of my pals from high school lived; even then, they thought Fr. Miceli was an icon from the old days of "lights out" (well, which he was). But always kind and gracious when I ran across him. Requiescat in pace.

I took his theology class
by sayahailmary  (2012-12-10 20:02:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was actually quite entertaining. He was a good man.

You'll do for tonight
by ndaero93  (2012-12-10 22:00:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll never forget when describing his opinion of hyperbole in some stories of the Bible. The example he used: "When you are out on a date on a Friday night, and you look the girl in the eye and tell her you love her. You don't really mean you lover her. What you mean is you're pretty good. You'll do for tonight."

You are correct. Very few women took his class, but the guys enjoyed it.

Old Testament freshman year *
by C-3PO  (2012-12-10 20:50:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was he the man who graded to the 3rd mistake
by 88_92WSND  (2012-12-10 20:41:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and based the paper on whatever material he'd read to that point?

That was Burtchaell. *
by irish gypsy  (2012-12-10 20:51:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks -- the bane of my freshman year roomate.
by 88_92WSND  (2012-12-10 20:59:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He made a typo in his second paragraph. Unfortunately, he also made a cut/paste error that resulted in his first paragraph being in the paper twice. So his entire 6 or 7 page final paper was based on the first paragraph and 2 sentences.

I had Father Gorski.

Damn *
by El Kabong  (2012-12-10 19:54:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.