Any thoughts or recommendations on kids bikes?
by TCFC (2012-12-10 17:28:54)
Edited on 2012-12-10 17:29:19
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Our 4-year old daughter has asked for a bike for Christmas. We have done a little bit of looking, but I didn't know if anyone here had any thoughts on a good product that's built well and will last at least a few years.

I'd prefer not to end up with a pink Huffy that falls apart at the first sign of wear and tear, but don't know if that will end up being our best option.

I'm surprised the BR doesn't recommend Bianchi *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2012-12-11 08:56:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Go to Target and pick one out. At that age,
by sebastionmerckx  (2012-12-11 08:25:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there's absolutely not reason to opt for higher quality bikes because your child will quickly grow out of it. I'm suggesting Target because the bikes tend to be just a little nicer than ones at Walmart or similar stores and are put together a little better as well. However, no matter where you buy from, make sure you go over everything on it first before your child rides it as there will most definitely be at least something that needs adjusted.

cheap bike and a good helmet
by kentdorfman  (2012-12-10 22:02:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as others have said, a 4-6 year old girl is not going to be very taxing on a bike. She'll outgrow it before something goes wrong. Just make sure she doesn't go near the bike without a helmet.

Since its an Xmas present and presumably from Santa
by TAR  (2012-12-10 20:40:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can't very well buy used. But you should buy used kids crap whenever you can. I would get a pretty pink one from Walmart, which you may have to do some assembly on in the basement. They are rugged enough to survive your 4 yr old, and your sisters kids and the in laws kids. That bike will be passed through 10 kids without showing the first sign of wear. Why? Because the most a kid will ride it is one season before they grow out of it and are ready to get on a larger bike. My girls probably went through 7 bikes between the ages of 5 and 12

Check out the local bike shops...
by Sonofadomer  (2012-12-10 20:01:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can usually find a good used bike (Giant,etc) at a reputable bike shop for the same price as that cheap Huffy.

Check out Striders
by terramarIrish  (2012-12-10 17:54:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Li'l TI has one (he'll be 3 in Feb) and loves it. One nice thing about striders is that you can adjust the seat and handlebar height, making them somewhat scalable. They're well made (dude is not easy on his) and affordable too.

Agree with Buck and jinx below - go with a small bike so D4 can learn how to balance. She'll outgrow it, but when she does she'll be ready for a big girl bike.

Get the smallest possible one for the lowest price.
by Buck Mulligan  (2012-12-10 17:40:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So she can learn to balance by putting her feet down. She can be riding without training wheels by May if you do that.

Then get another one in a couple of years.

She's much better off riding a cheapie small one that'll wear out than going oversized and not learning to ride without training wheels until she's 6.

Agreed. Really no reason to overspend
by knutesteen  (2012-12-10 17:50:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on something that, if the interest is there, will be replaced quite quickly with growth, unless one intends to secure the starter bike for an entire flock. Used is also a viable option, with the intended goal of "earning" a new bike of her own once she learns and enjoys riding-and I don't make that assumption because I have a 17 y.o. who never learned to ride because, well, she just wasn't interested-despite my keen interest in road biking during the relevant years.

If she can not balance yet, these are a start.
by bigjinx74  (2012-12-10 17:39:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It does fail the last a few years part though. But there is also one with pedals.

She will outgrow it before it wears out. My three
by rick  (2012-12-10 17:37:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

daughters used the same Walmart bike and it held up fine. Make sure her heels can touch the ground while she is sitting. This makes it much easier to learn to ride.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.