How big of a project is it to replace a kitchen sink?
by LondonDomer (2012-12-10 16:45:29)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

It seems like it should be fairly straightforward, but I am definitely not a plumber. Basically, right now we have a double basin sink like this, however, one big difference is our dishwasher drains into the sink drain through kind of an overflow valve thing where the soap dispenser is:

The right side is a disposal, the left side is just a normal drain. We'd like to go to a single-basin so we can fit larger items more easily. Like this (this one is actually the same dimensions as the above one):

How big of an undertaking is this? I think the one we have is cast-iron, so I'm sure it weights a lot. I'd like to keep the disposal, but have no idea what it would take to relocate it from the right side. And this thing I said above about the dishwasher draining through a valve thing on top of the sink - I don't know how to better describe it, but when the dishwasher runs, it pumps the water out via that valve thing that is on top of the sink. Not sure how to deal with that either.

They just did this on Ask This Old House
by JPH  (2012-12-10 20:47:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As always, they made it look pretty easy.

Not sure how to embed the video, but hopefully the link works.

I think the only tricky part is what is code in your area for venting the dishwasher (didn't fully read posts below). Trethewy talks about a few different options in this segment. Adjusting the pvc piping seems pretty easy to reconfigure in most instances.

PVC is very easy to work with. *
by Mr Wednesday  (2012-12-11 11:52:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not hard.
by grnd  (2012-12-10 17:01:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you can take you Scout apart you can handle swapping out a sink.

Why is the dishwasher plumbed to the sink?
by Mr Wednesday  (2012-12-10 16:49:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disposals these days have a dishwasher hookup on them (make sure you punch it out before hooking up said dishwasher).

If you're contemplating moving the disposal, the issue you'll have to resolve is the outlet plumbing for it. How complicated that is will depend on the materials that were used to make it. It may be trivial, it may require some fabrication work.

Here's a diagram illustrating it.
by LondonDomer  (2012-12-10 16:51:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It goes through the air-gap. Apparently this is common and even required by plumbing code in some states. Through the air gap, then the disposal. I don't know if new sinks have a place for this air gap or not. Edit: I guess I'd just get a sink with the right amount of holes built in.

I don't friggin' know...

I'm guessing your drain is not vented.
by Rudy36  (2012-12-10 17:03:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which would explain the air gap. Just get a sink with the correct number of holes and get a pretty new air gap for it.

It's not a difficult project, the hardest part will be getting it out, usually.

You may want to consider just buying a new disposal at this time, however you should be able to buy a new disposal drain to install into the new sink that your old disposal will attach to. Removing the old drain could be quite the chore.

The disposal electrical will stay the same, however you might have to run a longer wire from the switch, which isn't hard, just attach new to old under the sink and pull through to the switch.

For water lines, buy new hoses that screw right onto your shutoffs and your faucet. So much easier.

The plumbing of the trap is probably your hardest job, as you'll be reducing from two to one, but it's not rocket science. Be patient, don't be afraid to buy too many cheap plastic parts initially, and don't overtighten. Water does not defy the laws of gravity.

That makes sense.
by Mr Wednesday  (2012-12-10 17:00:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've helped out on disposal replacement, but I don't remember one of those being involved. I think your strategy looks like a good plan.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.