Is it time for my distributist manifesto?
by Atticus (2012-12-10 11:19:32)
[ Delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: OGerry will probably call me a liberal, but  posted by Karl(1of1)

Nah.
We distributists have been lying in wait for our time, dwelling in holes in the ground, shunning adventures, and enjoying the freedoms the Enlightenment has brought to our round doors.
Is it now time to come out and sting the ragged follies of the age with our swords of imagination? Issue a manifesto?
Maybe yes, maybe no. (Anyone remember Rocky Rococo from the old Firesign Theater?)
But enough of this frivolity. On to your question.

All things must pass, including the materialism, prosperity, and the scientific advances of the Enlightenment. The sun of the Enlightenment is setting and the time of the Dark Enlightenment is upon us. (Thank you, Michael Burleigh for that arresting phrase.) I just finished reading a fantastic book called "Dickens and the Social Order." In it, Myron Magnet analyzes one of my favorite novels of Dickens, Barnaby Rudge, and the story of the Gordon riots of the UK in 1780. He describes our future by looking backwards. As Catholicism in particular and Christianity in general shrinks in the global north, we will again assume the one metaphysical role that was always ours, along with our older brothers, the Jews, i.e., to be the collective and infuriating superego to the libertine and id-iotic ways of hedonistic society at large. The results will be the same.

A question to the twin but mirror image apologists of the existing order, the capitalists and the statist social justicers out there, courtesy of the ubermensch, Anton Chigurh:

"If the rule you followed brought you to this, what good is the rule?"

Very truly yours,
Atticus, another Bohemian Tory.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.