The strange crash site where Paul Walker died.
by mkovac (2013-12-07 00:16:42)
Edited on 2013-12-07 00:33:53
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I drove by the crash site on my way to Santa Barbara today. 25601 Hercules Street in Santa Clarita.

I had some extra time and wanted to see the site because, although I was familiar with the Newhall Ranch Road area, that particular street, located near a Walmart and an industrial park, was not familiar.

As I climbed the hill leading to the site, I rounded a curve to the right and saw cars parked on both sides of the street. People were walking across the boulevard, mostly young Hispanics in their 20s. Suddenly, there it was, on the south side of the road, a road memorial on steroids. Flowers, signs, people standing vigil silent and respectful, quietly talking to each other in front of a modern office building.

The Porsche must have lost control as it climbed the hill, making the curve to the right, spun out and hit one of the light poles in front of the building. It had to be traveling at a very high rate of speed because the curve is not a hairpin curve but it's not banked and the driver must have braked hard to avoid crossing into oncoming traffic. There is a hairpin curve just ahead of where they crashed, so if the driver was familiar with that street, he may have anticipated the hairpin curve and braked hard to decelerate before coming upon it.

photo from TMZ site:

Wow, didn't know it was there
by mitquinn  (2013-12-07 00:57:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I lived there for two years after college.

Saugas cafe is nearby, last place James Dean ate before his crash.

I think I can say it with confidence now.
by Rockbrig97  (2013-12-07 00:31:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw more Facebook posts mourning Paul Walker last weekend than I've seen for Nelson Mandela in the last 36 hours.

Yes, we could take an interesting census on the demographics of it all, but damn, it was depressing.

His death, like most people's, was unfortunate, but no one mentions that Walker, a 40 year old man, had a girlfriend was 7 years who was 23 years old.

I had never heard of Paul Walker before last weekend.
by JC  (2013-12-07 07:41:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My D23 was on Twitter, gasped and said oh my god, Paul Walker died.

I responded, as did my wife, who's Paul Walker? I guess it made me feel old.

At least I know who Nelson Mandela is and this is the first that I've posted anything on either. Demographics or not, it is still a sad commentary that Walker gets greater mention than Mandela.

The Lowest Common Denominator...
by Wooderson  (2013-12-08 20:11:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

aka, the people who cancel out your vote, think that his death was the Most Important Story of the week, and probably haven't heard of Nelson Mandela.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Now, this is not to put Walker's death in any sort of negative light, it was big of him to do charity work for the Filipino typhoon, and Coach Lance will always stand out as someone who never really went the River Phoenix road in Hollywood. That said, he didn't save an African nation almost single-handedly, and probably won't have a Matt Damon movie made about him. I agree it's sad that the LCD in this country will never really appreciate Mandela, despite the educated folk trying to hammer into their skull the importance of the man and his accomplishments.

I hadn't either, but "old" has nothing to do with it
by sprack  (2013-12-08 15:43:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My daughter never heard of him either.

I looked at what he appeared in, and I'd have little interest in it at any age. I was never interested in the Dukes Of Hazzard, either, 30 odd years ago. Except for Daisy.

I'm in the same boat...
by irishfarmboy  (2013-12-07 14:17:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OLD...

Walker is not getting more attention than Mandela
by captaineclectic  (2013-12-07 13:18:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on news outlets I take advantage of. I'm sure Perez Hilton and the like are paying him more attention, but entertainment outlets can be expected to cover primarily entertainment news.

Even if he were, it would likely be the man-bites-dog nature of a 40-year old star dying in a crash versus the dog-bites-man nature of a 95-year old leader known to have been in ill health passing away.

I thought he was the lead guitarist for the Jam
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2013-12-07 12:52:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or the American Taliban kid.

Same here. *
by Lloyd Braun  (2013-12-07 08:29:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The general fuss over Walker is a sad commentary on
by Barney68  (2013-12-07 06:44:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

our society, how we view the world, and what we value.

Generally, I agree with you about celebrity worship, but
by Jimbo Irish  (2013-12-09 10:14:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Paul Walker was actually a person pretty worthy of respect and admiration. The guy went on and helped fund several humanitarian missions to natural disaster zones and was overall a very sincere humanitarian.

I think he likely deserves the mourning of his fans much moreso than a vast majority of other Hollywood douchebags.

Why? To expand on Rudy36's comment...
by kbyrnes  (2013-12-07 12:05:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...the media exists to relay all manner of information. Consequently, we know about all sorts of people we'd never hear of otherwise; and regardless of their careers, they are all human beings. We shouldn't value his life less because he was an actor.

It could be that your comment was ambiguous--if you mean that it is a reflection of how we use sad news for entertainment or diversion value, there is some merit in that view, but I think it is probably something that goes back to ancient times. Gossip is not a modern invention.

You have no idea what kind of person he was.
by 84david  (2013-12-07 13:36:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a tragedy that he died in a wreck. Lets not beatify him.

"We shouldn't value his life less because he was...
by kbyrnes  (2013-12-07 13:45:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...an actor" equals beatification? I proudly stand by my transient opinion.

That's a pretty shitty thing to say.
by Rudy36  (2013-12-07 10:35:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A man lost his life. By all accounts he was a good man, and he was traveling from a charity event at the time of his death.

I don't have strong feelings towards him, but for a Hollywood star reports seem to be that he was one of the good ones.

Ditto. *
by ProV1x  (2013-12-07 10:55:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the age of consent in CA is 18
by NavyJoe  (2013-12-07 02:21:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a very weird situation and I am stunned it has not gotten more publicity over the years.

I believe he met her in Hawaii where consent is 16 *
by okerland  (2013-12-07 02:23:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.