Help for a veteran requested - Illinois agency questions
by nd740305 (2013-07-24 08:56:19)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Does anyone have experience with American Association for Wartime Veterans in Illinois? My father-in-law is running out of money for the nursing home. We were hoping to get him aid and assistance because he is a veteran. This group claims to help you complete the forms so you can definitely get approved. Are they legitimate? Is there a listing of registered financial planners? If people had complaints about a financial planner in Illinois where would one go to see those complaints?

Aid and Attendance
by PA_Irishfan (click here to email the poster)  (2013-07-24 19:36:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is a benefit called 'aid and attendance' that the VA has if he meets certain criteria one of which he has to have less than 80k in assets and served at least one day in a war. He would be eligible to get about 2k a month to help pay for medical bills, glasses, costs for a facility and even in home care. I'm the owner of a in-home non-medical care for seniors and we see this often. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Thank you for your help and a little more info
by nd740305  (2013-07-24 13:39:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My FIL is not impoverished; in fact he has paid his and his wife's way to an assisted living facility that has great extended medical, physical therapy, and assisted living facilities. He needed all of these from a recent disabling medical event. He is on Medicare.

The primary question is:

"What is the best way for him to apply (and who can help us) for veteran medical benefits so that he becomes eligible and begins to receive some benefits to allow his personal assets to support them as long as possible?"

Thank you for the ongoing input.

Is your father already enrolled with the VA?
by SgtK  (2013-07-24 16:18:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If not or you are unsure, take him to the nearest VA hospital and get him enrolled in the VA healthcare system. They will set a date for him to see a primary care doctor. If he believes he is service-connected for injuries, put in a disability claim. Not sure how long the claims backlog is in IL, but it does take some months to be awarded.

You can also apply for VA medical benefits over the phone, web, or mail.

A few questions....
by Marine Domer  (2013-07-24 11:16:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First, where does he live? If in DuPage I can get you in touch with some people in our Human Resources staff who may be able to help.

Second, what do you mean he is running out of money for the nursing home? Doesn't he qualify for Medicare? And why is he in the nursing home?

As for dealing with any professional with whom you have issues, you can contact the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (www.idfpr.org) or the Attorney General's office, as long as the name of the financial planner at issue isn't Madigan. You can also look up licenses and other info at the IDFPR website.

Medicare doesn't cover Nursing Homes
by HTownND  (2013-07-24 11:33:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless it's for rehab, and it's at a SNF (with some exceptions).

Medicaid will pay for a nursing home.

I would offer, without much evidence, if his FIL is running out of money, he probably qualifies as dual eligible for Medicare and Medicaid, which would help get him coverage for a nursing home.

Something to look into (I'd have to dig back into some old notes to be more specific).

The VA, both federal and state operates nursing homes
by beancounter  (2013-07-24 11:54:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Attached link is to the Illinois state VA homes.

Excellent
by HTownND  (2013-07-24 13:19:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks.

My VA knowledge experience is very specific and limited to a handful of projects a few years back.

Yep, thanks for the clarification.....
by Marine Domer  (2013-07-24 11:45:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Assuming he is disabled, and impoverished, I would assume Medicaid might cover.

Check with the VA
by SgtK  (2013-07-24 11:06:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To see if you are eligible to have a home based primary care or a nurse come to the house a few times a week. Also try to work with the VA social work to see what else your father may be eligible for.

When filling out the forms, and most of them are confusing, if he is service connected for any injuries go to the Disabled American Veterans (they usually have an office in all VA hospitals), the VFW/American Legion (if he is a member) to see if they have reps who can help fill out the paperwork. The DAV in my state is fantastic and the reps know the ins-and-outs of the VA, doing paperwork, and filing claims.

Good luck.

If in the Chicago area, Catholic Charities has programs
by manofdillon  (2013-07-24 10:48:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

designed to aid veterans, including housing programs for seniors.

When my grandmother ran out of money (after about
by rick  (2013-07-24 10:25:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

two years of paying), Illinois public aid picked up the tab. She stayed in the same nursing home. We didn't use a consultant. I got the forms from public aid, spent a couple of days going through a few years of her checkbook to get the info for the application, made a couple of trips to the public aid office, and got approval.
It was more tedious than anything. It's frustrating to traipse downtown to the public aid office and have them tell you to get more information. I kept my cool, said a bunch of "yes ma'am's," and got them the information.
We had a couple of things in our favor. First, the family did not take any money out of her accounts for ourselves. If you do, within a certain time, you have to pay it back. Also, when she went into the nursing home, we prepaid her burial. Had we not done that, we would have had to pay that ourselves.

Call the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs
by BeijingIrish  (2013-07-24 10:00:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you are in Chicago, call Angel Montez. Ex-USMC, good guy, will give you guidance. Be cautious in approaching these private groups--many are scams.

I am not familiar with them but did find this review
by BacTien  (2013-07-24 09:45:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It looks like it's good news/bad news.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.