I was in a LandRover/Audi/Jaguar dealer today.
by NDMD (2013-07-23 21:28:16)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Audi makes some unbelievable cars. The showroom consisted of an R8 V10 ($185,000), R8 V8 ($145,000), S8 ($115,000), S7 ($91,000), S6 (I forget), S5 and S4. Wow. The seatsa onf the S7 and S8 are amazing.

B13 wants the R8. Smart kid.

The Jag F-type would be fun too.

Correction: Audi makes wonderful NEW cars
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2013-07-24 12:24:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I owned a used Audi 100 back in the 90s.

One of the best cars I've ever driven turned out to be one of the most unreliable pieces of Teutonic junk I've ever owned.

After the transmission crapped out for the second time in 3 months, I gave the thing away to some fanboy.

i've got an older A6
by cujaysfan  (2013-07-24 12:30:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and have pretty good luck with it - a few things have gone wrong

the most ridiculous - a $300 headlight? WTF?

but - it's been reliable - and a superior driving experience

A $300 headlight? You're lucky it wasn't HID. *
by ndroman21  (2013-07-24 12:31:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

exactly
by cujaysfan  (2013-07-24 12:35:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if it was - i'd be expecting a big hit - but for a regular freaking headlight

however - this site is great place for parts for Audi owners

Yes, but I just got banged 800 bucks to fix my headlight.
by AZDomer  (2013-07-24 11:36:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great to own on warranty, but they really fucking suck if you want to buy it and put 90,000 miles on it before you got for a new one.

I've had four now. three A6's and a Q7. Now that I've gotten the whole pissing ugoldly sums of money on cars out of my system for a while, I just want something reliable with some pep. Loved all my Audi's, but I'd never buy keep one past the warranty again.

Could be worse
by gozer  (2013-07-24 18:26:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you could've bought a BMW V8 and paid about 10 hours of labor to replace a 15 cent O-Ring.

"ugoldly"--typo or a word you actually use? *
by Max Fischer  (2013-07-24 12:40:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree. Then again, I don't think I'd keep any decent car
by ACross  (2013-07-24 12:27:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

longer than the warranty period. The nicer the car, the more complex the engineering, the more complex and expensive the repairs will be.

Yes, yes they do.
by ndroman21  (2013-07-24 10:12:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had two B5 A4's (1996 and 2001) and loved them both. Fantastic looks inside and out, great driving feel, and the Quattro system is second to none.

I'm driving a VW CC now, which is pretty nice in its own right, but hope to get back into an A4 or maybe an A6 in the future.

I love my A4
by HarryWaters  (2013-07-24 09:17:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love it. Next time around the wifey wants an Allroad and I want an A5.

My office has a good contingent of Audi drivers and a good
by Tex Francisco  (2013-07-24 01:00:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

contingent of BMW drivers. The Audi drivers complain about how often they have to get their cars repaired and how expensive the repairs are infinitely more than the BMW drivers. I have a 2004 A4, and while I like a lot about it, it's likely to be my last Audi.

Is everyone driving pre-owned cars older than 5 years? *
by ndroman21  (2013-07-24 10:25:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We've got a mix - RS5, S4, 3 Q7s, and a half dozen A4s *
by Tex Francisco  (2013-07-24 10:50:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are the age of the BMWs and Audi's comparable?
by ndroman21  (2013-07-24 11:00:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because anything under 4 years/50K miles old shouldn't cost anything to repair for either brand.

BMW does have free maintenance, which I believe is an extra cost from Audi.

I'm just curious if the BMWs are newer than the Audis.

I have an A4
by Up_Top  (2013-07-24 10:21:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love the car.

Yeah, the regular maintenance can be rough and the parts expensive but I have had no real problems and knew this going in.

I plan on upgrading to an A6 one day.

that says more about the drivers than the cars.
by gozer  (2013-07-24 09:29:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To wit, Audi drivers are whiny bitches.

I've had both an a6 4.2 and a 535xi
by ACross  (2013-07-24 08:02:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And vastly preferred the Audi. My next car will likely be an A6 (maybe an S5).

You're not getting an S5.
by Cash  (2013-07-24 11:19:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You want nothing to do with getting babies/toddlers in and out of car seats in a coupe.

Just bite the bullet and get the S6. PenFed will let you finance up to $70k at 1.74%.

That said, the current A6 is a nearly ideal vehicle. It's almost absurd to ask for more engine than the supercharged 3.0.

Cash

You're probably right
by ACross  (2013-07-24 12:16:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I'm not sure a couple needs two cars that can carry a baby seat. Whoever is schlepping the kid takes the car with the car seat. At least that's how it should work.

But, as a friend as said, everything has changed in the last 20 years, and it's all traceable to the first guy who agreed to the idea of a couples baby shower.

I'll get the A6. I do wish they still made a A6 with the V-8.

And I am also going to buy the sweetest stroller known to man, whatever that is.

You're a rich lawyer, buy 7 cars *
by gozer  (2013-07-24 14:11:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We said that too.
by angel  (2013-07-24 13:30:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now both cars have car seats.

Enjoy.

They do. The S6 has a 4.0L turbocharged V8.
by ndroman21  (2013-07-24 12:27:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

420 HP, 406 ft-lbs. torque. Starts at $71,600.

Congrats, BTW.

Also, the A6 TDI is supposedly going to be released...
by ndroman21  (2013-07-24 13:47:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...in the fall. It's a 3.0L six-cylinder turbo-diesel.

24/38 MPG. Only 240 HP, but an incredible 428 lb-ft. of torque. Good enough for 0-60 in 5.5.

Bugaboo
by Irishted  (2013-07-24 12:27:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Congratulations.

Wuss.

I'll sell you mine to use for parts. *
by ProV1x  (2013-07-24 05:46:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't forget the TT. I love mine. *
by Domerfromkansas  (2013-07-23 22:25:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any thought to the Land/Range Rover?
by NDToronto  (2013-07-23 22:15:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Screw the MDX. The Rover is my SUV of choice

I'm seriously considering one. Just have not worked up the nerve to be sucked into the sales pitch.

I know I want one and whatever they tell me would be okay in my books as it would sound like melting butter on popcorn

I drove one like this for years.
by angel  (2013-07-24 13:36:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am guessing this isn't what you are looking for.

At least you won't have trouble finding the spare tire *
by Jvan  (2013-07-24 14:34:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. You're paying tens of thousands of dollars
by Dulac89  (2013-07-24 11:42:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for capabilities you are never likely to use

I'm on my second Sport.
by chidomer  (2013-07-24 09:04:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had a couple of glitches with the first one but nothing major. I have had no issues with this one, although I've only had it for 4 months.

The only issue with leasing them is maintenance is not included like it is for BMWs. Also, they weigh a ton (3, actually) so I blew through all my brake pads.

Get it and you won't be disappointed.

Actually, we were leasing a Range Rover Sport for my wife.
by NDMD  (2013-07-23 22:44:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got one of the last 2013s before the totally redone 2014's hit. The dealer's allotment of the new model is spoken for through January. We got a nice deal in the exact color she wanted. The only thing we would like from the new model would be better MPG and the panoramic moonroof.

This one is gorgeous.

I just bought a 2008 RR HSE with 35k miles for about 1/3 the
by Madmax  (2013-07-23 22:43:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cost of a new one. I'll deal with the poor reliability at that price. That thing is sweet!

They do have quite a bit of panache
by Vivaflanner  (2013-07-23 23:27:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I surmise the depreciation is for a reason. Used car market pretty efficient , I think.

If u got the time and money to fix it tho when it breaks, more power to u

I drive toyotas and hondas. No panache.

Most of the people I know who have ...
by Rocksteady74  (2013-07-23 22:43:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... bought or leased the top of the line Range Rover have been disappointed. Somewhere around 30,000 miles they become unreliable except to fund your mechanic's vacation fund.

Audis get mixed reviews, but more positive than negative. The car brokers have told me that Audis generally are good, but won't last as long as a Mercedes or BMW, and to avoid the Allroad.

Mercedes gets beat up in Consumer Reports, IIRC. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2013-07-24 00:43:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they're British, they're not supposed to be reliable
by gozer  (2013-07-24 00:14:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can go damn near anywhere in them without any real trouble though. One thing I will say is that if a land rover isn't leaking, that means it's out of something and you shouldn't drive it until you determine what.

did you get to test drive?
by jddomer  (2013-07-23 21:50:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That would be fun...

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.