My Nephew won his qualifier for the US AM.
by TWO (2013-07-23 18:00:06)
Edited on 2013-07-23 18:01:18
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Shot -4 to win it. He said his putter was white hot. He was the captain of the Texas A&M golf team that won the Nat'l Championship. He worked for PWC after college for a couple of years and now works for the College Golf Fellowship (a Christian based organization that works with college golfers).

He also qualified for the Southern Amateur, but missed the cut by a triple on the back nine of the 2nd round.

He played the Jr. Amateur as a high school Sr and has finished in the top 5 of the Houston Mens Amateur the last two years.

Here's a link to his scorecard.

# Proud Uncle.

Congratulations his way. This is wonderful! *
by ProV1x  (2013-07-23 20:00:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pro, has the US AM always been so dominated by
by TWO  (2013-07-23 20:22:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

college age golfers? I seem to remember a time that it was dominated by businessmen who were in their 30's and 40's...but maybe I'm thinking of the Mid Am?

The college kids are actually playing a major league
by ProV1x  (2013-07-23 20:54:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

amateur tour. Every week these kids are playing in tournaments against competition that is mind boggling. The old time gentleman golfers like Charlie Coe and Harvey Ward are a lost breed. There is no way they can get the international competition week in and out that the college players get. There is too much money on the Tour to pass up instead of trying to run a business and play a handful of amateur events. Also the USGA and R&A have made it way easier to get their amateur standing back of they so wish.

One of my fellow professionals here in Kentucky, Mike Thomas, is the father of Justin Thomas who played at St. Xavier HS, then Alabama where he won six college tournaments. (Justin has just announced he will turn pro after the Walker Cup matches in September, foregoing his final two years at Bama.) He has literally played and won on some kind of an amateur tour since he was in grade school, and in '09 he was the 5th youngest golfer at 16 to make the 36 hole cut in a PGA Tour event, The Wyndham. I don't believe he'll flame out on the Tour but who knows? It's golf!

Getting your amateur status back used to be like...
by Slotts  (2013-07-24 11:26:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

getting your virginity back. It's too easy now.

I believe you used to have to play as a non-amateur for
by ProV1x  (2013-07-24 12:40:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

five years. This means you couldn't play in competition as a pro or an am during the waiting period, so it left you hustling the guys at the club out of $1 nassaus on Sat. mornings.

That's outstanding
by Hipster  (2013-07-23 19:43:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How great it would be to play golf at that rarefied level....even just once.

I'll look for his name in future events as I'm following a kid my son played against in HS who looks like he's got a future as well. Jordan Neibrugge is his name. Plays at OK St. so maybe your nephew has played against him.

Wow, -4 in the US Amateur qualifying. That's big time.

He graduated in 2009, but I do remember following him
by TWO  (2013-07-23 20:20:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the B12 Championship one year and his playing competitor was Rickie Fowler.

That's a great round.
by WilfordBrimley  (2013-07-23 19:41:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did he ever think of turning pro?

He was a good college golfer...
by TWO  (2013-07-23 20:19:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not a great one. He had his BA in Accounting and MS in Finance and an excellent job waiting.

Excellent! *
by LocalSubAlum  (2013-07-23 19:11:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Congratulations! Very impressive job *
by 1978Irish  (2013-07-23 19:07:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is excellent
by cjr2008  (2013-07-23 18:59:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is very high level golf. Especially impressive 2nd round, after being +3 through 2 holes to go on and shoot 68. The US Am is an incredible event. I'd recommend traveling to Brookline to watch him if you can make it happen. Playing in this event could be a once in a lifetime opportunity (although based on his scores, he may make plenty more of these...).

That's fantastic.
by irish628  (2013-07-23 18:02:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eight birdies in an 11 hole stretch, parring the only par 5.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.