How bad is the drug spice?
by saintapollonia (2013-07-23 12:00:55)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I'm aware of it in general. My understanding is that it's synthetic marijuana. It sounds like it was originally sold OTC in gas stations and tobacco shops; packaged as incense and "natural herbs" sort of marketing with the knowing "off label" intended use as being smoked.

I ask because a local colleague's parents apparently have been busted in a sting. Colleague is a friend we socialize with regularly and is a physician. He's first generation US, as his parents were from India. They owned a small tobacco shop and apparently had been snagged in a six month sting operation and were arrested in March. I had not been aware until a friend showed me the article this weekend. Friend, son, had not been implicated as only the parents were arrested. I have no idea is to their current status: in jail or what.

How dangerous is that stuff? What's in it? Is it used medicinally?

Everything you need to know is in this new show.
by IrishIron  (2013-07-23 15:25:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

National Geographic Channel has a new show called Inside: Secret America. The first episode dealt specifically with this topic bath salts/synthetic marijuana. You will learn everything you need to know about making it distribution and the like.

It aired a couple of weeks but I watched it on demand. Very interesting stuff.

Nice that they show you how to make it. *
by irishhawk49  (2013-07-23 15:32:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Legalize all drugs and then we don't worry about it.
by 84david  (2013-07-23 14:54:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We can have "medicinal" crack and heroin

Holy crap
by saintapollonia  (2013-07-23 14:38:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This stuff sounds like very bad news. I wonder where two 50-60 year old Indians got there hands on it to start peddling it to begin with. I suppose maybe the drug agents will go that route to go up higher on the food chain. This really shocked me and disturbed me as I had met them many times.

Synthetics are going to be a major problem for awhile
by Dulac89  (2013-07-23 13:51:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Take "bath salts"...The substances are made to be addictive drugs. But they're all chemical so they can be sold as just about anything, with a disclaimer that they should not be inhaled or ingested. Of course word spreads quickly that that's exactly what you're supposed to do with them. How do you regulate that?

The government has somehow managed to regulate gas cans.
by vitadulcedospes  (2013-07-23 14:26:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're now so regulated that they're effectively unusable. I might as well pour the gas for my lawnmower into a milk jug.

I want Cartwright to add a platform plank of bringing back the old gas cans. Down with regulations!

I just do this:
by Stonebreaker9  (2013-07-23 14:31:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Really bad
by WilfordBrimley  (2013-07-23 13:04:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was big in the military a few years ago before there was a viable test for it. My company had a handful of kids become hooked on it after we came back from overseas. It took five soldiers to restrain one who was drugged up.

Energy and mania of meth with the psychosis of LSD

Stupid question from the un-hip: How can they push this
by rgvirish  (2013-07-23 14:00:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

off as "synthetic grass" if the results are totally different?
By what you're saying, this stuff doesn't make anyone "calm and mellow".
Are they calling it something some of us deem relatively safe so as to not scare off potential "customers" ?

They market it as incense *
by WilfordBrimley  (2013-07-23 14:06:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

None of the synthetics are marketed for ingestion/inhalation
by dulac89  (2013-07-23 18:54:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's very hard to ban chemicals not marketed or sold for personal use, that just so happen to give you a great buzz if you choose to use them as such.

So it's like the bath salts stuff that was going around? *
by smcchick  (2013-07-23 13:43:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty much one and the same
by WilfordBrimley  (2013-07-23 14:05:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've seen what acts like synthetic marijuana called bath salts and what acts like meth/LSD called spice. There is a blurry line, if any, between the two, and they are manufactured by the same people.

My gf's mom was an ER nurse until last year.
by smcchick  (2013-07-23 14:24:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I asked her about the bath salts patients. She said that it was like they were on PCP, they had to restrain the patients most of the time.

I'll stick to my usual half pint and six pack
by ProV1x  (2013-07-23 13:41:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which still gets me to where I need to be. I don't need any grinning monkeys crawlng across my line when I'm about to jerk stroke a putt!

It can be very bad
by dinger9927  (2013-07-23 12:57:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have treated a handful of patients who have become floridly psychotic on it.

horrible stuff
by cujaysfan  (2013-07-23 12:35:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IIRC - a family that Wineaux knows was devastated by the stuff.

Son was on it - and bludgeoned to death the father and brother or something.

go ask the Honey Badger
by jt  (2013-07-23 12:20:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seriously, that is the stuff he was smoking. From what I understand it is extremely addicting and there are some side effects. Of course, I have never partaken myself so I cannot say for sure and everything I have heard is anecdotal.

I've heard some messed up stories.
by NDBass  (2013-07-23 12:28:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most of them are probably second hand by technicality. They were related to me by the people that had smoked it, but their actions had to be told to them because they had no recollection. Calling it synthetic marijuana is a bit of a misnomer if you ask me.

The spice must flow.
by jerseyirish07  (2013-07-23 12:15:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He who controls the spice, controls the universe!

The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness...The spice is vital to space travel.

Say what you will, but Lynch got the worms right. *
by Wooderson  (2013-07-23 20:59:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is this a quote from a really bad movie? *
by Nitschke  (2013-07-23 13:32:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a quote from a really awesome book.
by jerseyirish07  (2013-07-23 13:37:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dune, by Frank Herbert.

(Actually, I don't recall if the quote is from the book or the Sci-Fi channel made for tv movie).

The David Lynch cinematic adaptation
by voidoid  (2013-07-23 13:39:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is the finest science fiction film ever made.

Are you smoking spice? *
by Nitschke  (2013-07-23 13:56:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd actually posit
by jerseyirish07  (2013-07-23 13:46:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that the Sci-Fi Channel's "Children of Dune" is by far the best representation of the Dune universe.

Children of Dune was excellent, though admittedly
by voidoid  (2013-07-23 13:57:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I haven't read that book, so I can't speak to how well it was translated from the novel. And after all this time I remember little besides Susan Sarandon...

I'm a huge David Lynch fan, and his film took the book to maximum weirdness/darkness, which I loved.

The SciFi channel movie was based on two books
by yooper  (2013-07-23 14:07:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The movie was based on the books Dune Messiah & Children of Dune. And it was very well done for a made-for-tv movie/mini-series. I thought the original Dune movie on SciFi was also very good, although it was hurt a bit by the low budget special effects. It was still about 1000 times better than that terrible movie with Sting.

I found the ending of Children of Dune to be phenomenal.
by jerseyirish07  (2013-07-23 14:35:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The two Sci-Fi Channel adaptations are, I believe, still the #1 and #2 most viewed programs in the channel's history.

I'm a huge David Lynch fan too
by irish628  (2013-07-23 14:05:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And his "Dune" adaptation is one of the worst films of all time.

Sounds like Dune. *
by FtWorthIrish  (2013-07-23 13:36:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
by voidoid  (2013-07-23 12:33:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Pretty bad...abuse has some scary side effects
by captaineclectic  (2013-07-23 12:10:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is your brain on spice.

of for God's sake
by jt  (2013-07-23 12:21:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went to the url from that pic and I noticed that they're doing a robocop reboot.

Christ, is anyone in Hollywood worth a shit? Can anyone come up with a new fucking idea?

"Use your gun in a threatening manner...point it at ED-209." *
by RocketShark  (2013-07-23 13:45:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A great philosopher asked this very question about Robocop.
by blazesboylan  (2013-07-23 13:02:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He set his ruminations to music, included a sideways swipe at Billy Corgan, and called his work "Robocop 4 -- Fuck Off Robocop" -- text below.

(I think everybody has fantasised what they would ask Elvis if he was still alive. I know what I would ask him:
"What's your favourite film?")

Jaws? Jaws 2? More Jaws? or Jaws rebooted?
Please, let's take a second to think about a future state of love and bliss
Brought to you by wish lists of eight year old boys who only crave explosions
Why?
Well, being eight, they have an excuse - they'rre eight!
and giant robots cannot distract them from their fate

Middle aged men on a movie date, committed to mortal shame

Hey! Relax! No-one died - in fact, they left improved!
If Michael Bay wants a bigger house, let's help him
Art? ha!
Where you from?
Where you been?
He said:
I went to Cannes once and and really did not have much fun
Why?
Well, being French, they talk too much
and all those pages of subtitles kept getting stuck

1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 3
1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 3

Pirates of the Caribbean 47
Johnny Depp stars as the robot pirate who loses his wife in a game of poker
and tries to win her back with hilarious consequences
At least Harry Potter has a proper story in the sense that the characters crave an ending
If only to release poor Billy Corgan from his role as the titular character's nemesis
Robocop 4 is in pre-production, like Robocop 3 wasn't bad enough
and George Lucas won't be kicking his heels 'til he makes some money from Howard the Duck
Robocop 4 is in pre-production, like Robocop 3 wasn't bad enough
I hope the projectionist likes his action motion-tracked and medicated

(the first director died)

Basically, you've got the Cohen Bros. and Wes Anderson.
by Porpoiseboy  (2013-07-23 12:34:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's about it. There are some decent writers here and there, but that's about all she wrote.

Unfortunately I enjoy good movies more than original movies.
by Papa November  (2013-07-23 13:01:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wes Anderson in particular blows goats.

Tell it to the Marines, Papa316! *
by Porpoiseboy  (2013-07-24 00:39:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Derek Cianfrance? Shan Carruth?
by captaineclectic  (2013-07-23 12:57:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nicolas Winding Refn?

It's bleak, but it isn't THAT bleak.

Nolan's non-Batman work is original.
by dentonfreeman  (2013-07-23 12:51:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some people may not like Inception, but I think it's tough to argue against its originality at least as far as Summer blockbusters go. The Prestige was pretty good and his new film "Interstellar" sounds interesting.

Neill Blomkamp, writer/director of District 9, has a new movie coming out starring Matt Damon called "Elysium". It looks interesting and somewhat original. Trailer is below:

Inception was ripped off from Donald Duck
by Carroll02  (2013-07-23 12:56:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There really wasn't much original about it.

I think it meets his definition of original
by dentonfreeman  (2013-07-23 13:04:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In this context. Unless there was an extremely successful Ducktales movie based on that comic I'm unaware of.

We can argue about how there aren't really any truly original stories left to tell if you'd like. I refer you to the Southpark episode "Simpsons already did it".

Judge for yourself
by Carroll02  (2013-07-23 16:40:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even the details were stolen.

This one will be a documentary
by captaineclectic  (2013-07-23 12:31:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

set in real Detroit, in real time.

it's too late for that
by jt  (2013-07-23 12:33:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

modern day Detroit is much worse than the Detroit depicted in the original.

Thank God the good guys won the World Series last year; the whole place would have gone up in smoke otherwise and we'd still be smelling the burnt tires from 1000 miles away.

Tiger Stadium, 2013
by ugoirish  (2013-07-23 14:17:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hit the link below. Apparently, neighborhood folks regularly mow the field and raise the flag everyday. It must be the only place in town that is voluntarily maintained.

His super power is responding to calls in under an hour. *
by Shadyirish  (2013-07-23 12:33:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.