Finding a summer camp
by AZDomer (2013-07-23 10:55:24)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I have my daughters in farm camp this year at Stone Barns and next year I am thinking of experimenting with sleepaway camp for my oldest, who will be 9. Where to begin? There are so many resources, I have no idea which is reputable.

I'm trying to find something with all girls, within 250 miles of home and most importantly, and surprisingly most difficult, one with a two, max three week program. I'm shocked how many of these camps only offer 7-8 week programs. Who the heck wants to send their kid away the entire summer?

Are they in scouting...what about GS camp? *
by newogem  (2013-07-23 18:05:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks so much for the replies, a lot of research to do. *
by AZDomer  (2013-07-23 17:23:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is there Camp Fire in your area?
by swimirish23  (2013-07-23 21:09:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would recommend Camp Fire over Girl Scouts for a lot of reasons, if it's an option.

Where do you live? *
by irishhawk49  (2013-07-23 15:27:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This one time, at band camp... *
by 84david  (2013-07-23 15:07:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just couldn't resist, could ya? *
by irishhawk49  (2013-07-23 15:24:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Camp Tannadoonah
by swimirish23  (2013-07-23 14:46:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for those in the South Bend or Chicago areas, I am the director at Camp Tannadoonah, about 45 minutes outside of South Bend. It's open to kids ages 5-16, and we have one-week, 3-day, 2-week, and 10-day sessions from mid June to mid August.

Some of my best memories of youth are of Camp Tannadoonah! *
by UNDFRED  (2013-07-23 21:46:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yay!
by swimirish23  (2013-07-24 09:19:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have spent pretty much my whole life up here - my first year as a camper was '85. I was a camper til I was 15, then kitchen staff at 16, then a counselor for 6 summers, board member, volunteer, and now the camp director for the past 8 years.

When were you a camper? Maybe we knew each other!

Thanks for that
by tm8838  (2013-07-23 18:37:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

B7 will be B8 next summer and that is something we have been talking about. And the close proximity to our home base and the reasonable cost is something that is very attractive.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have *
by swimirish23  (2013-07-23 21:08:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seriously considering sending lil' jd next summer
by jddomer  (2013-07-23 15:34:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it would be good for him to have a sleep away camp experience.

awesome! *
by swimirish23  (2013-07-23 21:09:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

please email me
by swimirish23 (click here to email the poster)  (2013-07-23 14:44:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am the director of a summer camp (probably too far for you to travel - I'm about 45 min from ND), but would be happy to talk with you about what to look for in a camp, and how to choose the right one for you.

2 really good ones:
by BeijingIrish  (2013-07-23 14:38:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Cheley in Colorado; and,

2. Red Arrow in Wisconsin.

Our girls went to Camp Kahdalea in North Carolina one summer. Great camp, but very southern clientele.

Camp Seagull (boys) and Camp Seafarer (girls) in NC-both are
by ndcarolinainmymind  (2013-07-23 14:34:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

run by the Raleigh, NC YMCA. I was a camp nurse there one summer. It was a wonderful camp. Many campers and counselors from the North too, esp Maryland area.

Check out Campus Kids.
by GSDOMER  (2013-07-23 13:47:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty flexible as far as number of weeks. My daughter has done from 2-6 weeks depending on other activities, commitments, etc. during a particular summer. It is Monday-Friday so you have them home on the weekends. Drop offs and pickups are at designated locations. It is coed, but we have not found that to be a real problem or heard of any issues or incidents.

All my nieces go to camp Nelli Huckins In NH
by Blairkiel  (2013-07-23 13:45:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Linked

Camp Pinnacle south of Asheville NC
by wnyirishfan (click here to email the poster)  (2013-07-23 12:26:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's an incredible place, two week sessions.

My daughter (11 yo) went last and this year, and my son (9 yo) went this year. They both loved it.

It's partially a prep camp for www.adventuretreks.com.

Email if you'd like more info from a parent (me).

Fencing camp at Notre Dame. *
by irishnyer  (2013-07-23 12:20:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my son loved Sandy Hill Camp on the Chesapeake (link)
by Ksqdomer  (2013-07-23 11:56:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My nephew just got back from one that seems interesting.
by Irish tool  (2013-07-23 11:55:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It really may hit none of your criteria except for the 2 week time frame, but I thought I'd throw it out there. It's called Summer's Best 2 Weeks, and is outside Pittsburgh

My nephew is 9 and loved it, and it came highly recommended from family friends.

It's focused on having a variety of sports and allowing the kids to compete individually, in groups, and among the whole camp across all its age groups for the overall trophy.

It's also co-ed but has a heavy overarching Christian mission (founded by Presbyterians, but the counselors aren't required to be any denomination).

My nephew is a sports prodigy but is addicted to winning ruthlessly. It seems like he had a blast, but also maybe they started to get through to him to be a good sport and kind neighbor regardless of what happens... Which is impressive if it sticks.

My wife and her siblings grew up on Long Island
by irishlaw2010  (2013-07-23 11:52:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and attended Camp Fatima and Bernadette. They all loved and it and my wife really wants to send our kids there.

Might be a bit farther than your range (around 300 miles driving from Westchester).

We've had friends that sent their kids to Overland in MA
by frickerdog  (2013-07-23 11:39:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is centered in Williamstown, MA but they run biking and hiking camps at various locations. Most are 2 week camps. It's expensive, but reviews have been uniformly positive. They got some bad press this year when one of the teen biking tours got hit by a motorist. That might make me nervous.

My brother adored Keewaydin (Lake Dunmore, VT)
by IrishApache  (2013-07-23 11:28:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

More WASP-y than anything else.

Very easy drive.

They now have a separate camp for girls.

2, 4, and 8 week programs.

My parents, not being Jewish, were not big into sending us to summer sleep-away camps, so they were shocked when he asked to go with one of his friends. He loved that place and went back every summer. He made some great friends. The location is beautiful. Also, we used to stay in Middlebury when we dropped him off, which was a treat. The Middlebury Inn is delightful.

If you want more info, I can ask him.

My son, my nieces and nephews have all gone to
by irishlala  (2013-07-23 11:25:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Camp Christopher near Cleveland. All have loved it. My son went last year at 9.

My wife went there as a kid and loved it as well. I'm not sure where you're located but I know some families that come from out of state.

Try the American Camp Association
by PaulM  (2013-07-23 11:13:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're an accrediting agency for summer camps. I've worked at ACA camps before and while they can be extremely varied and unique, the accreditation is rigorous enough to ensure quality. Also, I've never even heard of a camp with an 8 week minimum stay. That just seems insane to me.

My advice is to ask any Jewish friend
by captaineclectic  (2013-07-23 11:06:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rather than this board of Catholic types. The Jews have this summer camp shit figured out.

camp Granada?
by jt  (2013-07-23 12:24:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

camp is very entertaining
and they say that we'll have fun
once it stops raining

I hate Granada...
by ArasEra  (2013-07-23 14:57:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

don't leave me out in the forest
where I might get eaten by a bear

Camp Firewood?
by El Capitan  (2013-07-23 12:02:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jesus Christ was Wet Hot American Summer a talent laden movie.

1-877... *
by Barrister  (2013-07-23 11:58:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hate you. *
by captaineclectic  (2013-07-23 12:10:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was irresistable. *
by Barrister  (2013-07-23 13:32:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Modin it is then. *
by Shadyirish  (2013-07-23 11:11:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, but they send their kids to all Jewish camps. *
by AZDomer  (2013-07-23 11:09:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a good way to make future business connections
by Dutch  (2013-07-23 11:32:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm only half joking. One of my former colleagues used to be a counselor at a predominately Jewish camp in northern Wisconsin. The number of business connections he made through the kids and their parents was astounding.

well, that and your kids will likely dominate athletic
by jt  (2013-07-23 12:25:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

competitions.

Any chance it was Menominee in Eagle River? *
by JimmyJam04  (2013-07-23 11:52:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think so.
by Dutch  (2013-07-23 12:39:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was closer to Rhinelander, but I can't remember the name.

Probably could still point you
by captaineclectic  (2013-07-23 11:16:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the right direction with regard to resources, credible reviews, etc.

That's odd
by coachslacker  (2013-07-23 10:59:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and maybe a function of demand - the minimum stay issue. I've internet-investigated more than a dozen camps within driving distance and I can't say I've seen more than a 2-week minimum.

We've sent kids to two separte YMCA overnight camps. They have loved it.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.