Follow up to Four Pillar's homeowners post: re: sump pumps.
by Papa Burgundy (2013-07-23 09:22:45)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I'm looking for recommendations for battery backup sump pumps. Unfortunately, the price range is from $150 - $500. Do I really need to spend the money for a higher-end backup or can I get away with getting a low priced option?

We installed a water-powered backup
by volley  (2013-07-23 10:19:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The pump was less than $200 and I had a friend of a friend install it for about $100. If there's a water line close to your sump, it's not really too tricky to install.

This is the way to go if you have the pressure.
by ndroman21  (2013-07-23 10:35:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A battery requires a homeowner to check its status, and in an extended flooding situation, will eventually run out.

A water-powered system will always work. Unless there's a problem with the float.

My Basement Watchdog saved me last month.
by rick  (2013-07-23 09:31:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it cost about $200, and we installed it ourselves. Bought it at Home Depot.
Power was out for about 6 hours while we were away. My neighbor got at least 6 inches of water, and my basement was dry.
Lots of the cost is in the battery. I think a replacement battery costs close to $100 plus another $20 for the acid pack. Batteries have to be replaced every few years.

Ditto this.
by Blue Jogger  (2013-07-23 10:24:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's an afternoon project. Guy at the HD just threw all the parts I needed into the cart. Replace the battery every 3-4 years. Probably a good idea to keep a spare as well. We had a massive storm here where we lost power for 16h and burned out the battery. The battery shelves at the hardware stores were bare the next day.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.