How is it that 2 guys on "This Old House"
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster) (2013-07-22 21:13:06)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

can renovate a dilapidated Boston townhouse in 30 minutes, yet doing some touch-up caulking on a crown moulding installation in my dining room took me 3 hours, 3 trips to the Home Depot, three broken glasses, two Band-Aids and a realization that I'm gonna hafta repaint about 1/2 of the room?

I have the utmost respect for all of you plumbers, painters, electricians and contractors out there. You folks make things look so easy.

The magic of an editor. *
by 84david  (2013-07-23 09:06:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've learned that ANY home project takes 3 to 4 times longer
by NDFlyer  (2013-07-23 07:29:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than I expect when I first look at it. For example, we have an A/C unit in the attic. I noticed water in the basement, which is the drain from the condensate pan. I went upstairs to check out the unit and found the condensate drain line was blocked and water was running out of the unit into the pan to the basement. Easy fix - just shove a hangar into the drain line to unstop it. I broke the line. Went to the hardware store to buy the fittings and bought the wrong threaded fitting. Second trip got it right. 3 hours later, it was done.

I agree on painting - the painters do it faster than I can. I am relegated to weeding and preparing for tailgate parties.

I thought that was just my problem. Glad I'm not alone *
by MarnMav  (2013-07-23 13:47:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If there is one thing I have learned after years of
by bengalbout  (2013-07-22 21:21:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

renovating my house and landscaping my yard, it is that hiring a professional not only ends with quicker completion of the project, but usually a better result. It also usually costs less. I now only do projects when I want to have something to do to keep me busy.

Painting and Mulch. Two things I will never do again.

I'd have the whole room taped off and the guy who does our
by ndgenius  (2013-07-22 21:42:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

painting doesn't even use it except maybe at the base (for dripping) but he just cuts everything in freehand. There's no way I could get it done for what he charges and plus we trust him so we just leave the side door unlocked for him, he comes in, paints and it's done when we get home from work. Can't beat it.

It takes me longer to tape off a room than it does
by bengalbout  (2013-07-22 21:59:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for someone else to paint it. No tape, maybe a drop cloth. Money well spent

I painted my two story foyer and landing Saturday.
by Rudy36  (2013-07-23 10:51:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only used about ten feet of painters tape near the carpet and along one junction of two doorways.

Took me about 7 hours total.

Free-hand cutting with a 2.5" angled brush 20+ feet off the ground.

Completely renovating 3 houses will teach you things you never thought you'd learn.

Saved over a grand. Drank six beers. Pretty nice little Saturday.

I'm weird in that I find cutting and rolling a room very relaxing. I have about 200 different little things running through my head everyday so when I am forced to focus on drawing a straight line with a trim brush I forget about everything else and just relax. It's cheaper than therapy.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.