Yea. Downtown has made a great comeback. But
by Johnnysalami (2024-04-22 21:06:55)

In reply to: Nice article on Detroit's real estate boom in the WSJ (link)  posted by Raoul

Just about every neighborhood between downtown and the burbs is half vacant and looks like a demilitsrized zone. There massive swaths of land/neighborhoods (Detroit is 44 Sq miles) that will never "come back".

At its peak Detroit had over 2MM residents, now I think 700k. It'll never see a "Renaissance" outside of downtown and a handful of good remaining neighborhoods.

Ultimately I think Detroit's downfall (it was once the richest city in the US) was a product of globalization. That + racial issues.

I agree with 100% of what you said.
by domer4  (2024-04-24 00:37:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Born and raised in Livonia, parents both and raised in Detroit, and we all had to evacuate Livonia in July 1967 for fear of the riots spreading to the suburbs.

It never recovered and won't recover in my lifetime. You can build up the downtown all you want - but you need at least 500,000 residents to come back in and they need to be educated and motivated.

Two causes: Coleman and Young *
by Freight Train  (2024-04-23 06:19:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about Kwame Kilpatrick? Malice Green?
by domer4  (2024-04-24 00:38:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Heck that list could be hundreds and hundreds of words.

Bingo. *
by johnnysalami  (2024-04-23 08:13:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post