Parent Plus loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.
by Domer84 (2024-04-22 12:26:41)

In reply to: I think just follow your last line  posted by OrangeJubilee

The only way those loans go away are if either the parent in whose name the loans were issued dies, or, the student for whom the loans were taken out dies.

I have a little experience with these loans, unfortunately, so I have explored some options over the years. You can reduce the monthly payment on the loans based upon your income. You can also negotiate for smaller payments based on other issues. However, if you just end up paying the interest the loans will never go away.

My kids were told that, if we took out a parent plus loan for them, they would be responsible for it as well as their own loans. Legally they are not but they understood the deal. They have done a pretty good job making the payments although I have helped them quite a bit, especially when they were just getting started.

And I agree, it's a racket. This all started when the federal government took over the loan business when my oldest was in college. Tuitions went through the roof since anyone could easily get a loan for any amount.

Replies: