Vancouver recs - for upcoming Anniversary
by graNDfan (2024-04-18 12:34:25)

30 Anniversary this year - was thinking of surprising wife with tix to see Bruce (her all time favorite - never seen live). Given that Europe is out from a cost perspective I've landed on Vancouver on 11/22. But I know nothing about it or the area.

Any recommendations for couples vacation there or a resort nearby? What is the weather like around then? We are not skiers but do love mountains for sightseeing and some hiking.

His tour hits our east coast to places we have been (Pitt, DC, Philly, Baltimore) and then shoots across CA (Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calagry, Edmonton) where we haven't. Would any of those be better for a 4 or 5 day trip than Vancouver?

Agree below, Vancouver can be done in 1.5 days.
by Wooderson  (2024-04-18 16:17:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But also, regarding Banff, you may want to do an over night train from Calgary to Vancouver, so you get the Canadian Rockies in there, to eat up two days of time.

In Vancouver itself (been a while since I was last there), it'll like be on the cooler side, being in November, but it's close enough to Seattle that it's similar weather.

Capilano Bridge Park is interesting and offers outdoorsy hiking, you can follow it up with beers and food at the ferry landing in North Vancouver.

If you liked MacGuyver or BSG, you'll see some familiar sights (the Library is pretty awesome).

Can't speak to restaurants really, it was a work trip and I was sort of in a hurry. Yaletown/Roundhouse area is good for walking around and finding something to eat, as well as Stanley Park area.

If you're seeing Bruce at one of the stadiums, they're pretty much next to each other.

The SkyTrain is great.

Seattle is two hours by train if you're looking to tack on more stops.
There will be some rough sights on the streets, just keep walking.

Yes, the Rocky Mountaineer has a Calgary to Vancouver
by ONeillMGK  (2024-04-18 16:45:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

route which I'm sure is wonderful. It can be pricey though.

VIA Canadian Rail probably has a less expensive alternative for that route.

Victoria and Vancouver Island completely slipped my mind which are close to Vancouver and which I would very much like to visit.

VIA Rail runs a sleeper from Edmonton to Jasper and Kamloops
by Wooderson  (2024-04-19 10:26:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

before hitting Vancouver.

I'll admit that scenery is probably worth it as well.

Leaves Edmonton 11/20, it's not a daily, but $423 for two people for a private berth with two bunks.

Dunno what to do in Edmonton though. It'll be cold af up there.

Rockymountaineer season ends around September
by SixShutouts66  (2024-04-18 17:40:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OP trip has to deal with weather. Its not bad in Vancouver itself, but has to consider snow, driving, and skiers at the time of his trip We ran into a blizzard near Banff in mid September

A few thoughts...
by ONeillMGK  (2024-04-18 15:49:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Vancouver is a very nice city but I felt like I had seen it in about a day and a half. Toronto is similar - but even less interesting to my tastes.

Montreal is a great town that I would love to visit again. You could combine that with a trip to Quebec City which is beautiful. It will very much feel like a European vacation - particularly in Quebec City. Stay at the Chateau Frontenac.

Alternatively, Calgary is a serviceable city and would be fine for a nice dinner and concert. Calgary's main advantage is that it is only a few hours from Banff. It might be chilly that time of year but Banff and the surrounding national parks are spectacularly beautiful with lots to do if you are outdoorsy.