I'm not a cruise guy.
by BeijingIrish (2024-04-18 11:48:11)

In reply to: Help me convince my wife ...  posted by CJC

It always seems to me that passengers are required to spend too much time at sea in transit and not enough time ashore seeing stuff. Then, there is the requirement to watch one's fellow passengers gorging themselves at the buffet line. Hunger pangs are a symptom of mild seasickness, so you've got these people who spend their days hovering around the buffet table shoving large portions of potato salad into their maw. Then, the Indonesian steward brings out a fresh platter of grilled octopus and someone chunders.

Having said all this, Greece might be one exception to my no-cruise rule. The distances between the islands are not great, and it seems to me that the itineraries are full of interesting stops. If it were I, I'd choose one of the itineraries that includes Istanbul. It is a fascinating place, for me, one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Finally, I think you should invite KByrnes, sorin69, and me to accompany you on the trip. We would deliver lectures every night on topical issues: the music of the eastern Med (Kevin); Constantinople vs Rome (Mike); Gallipoli and the Battle of Salamis (BI). It would be a trip of a lifetime.

Replies: