What do I need to know about Indy 500 weekend? *
by coloraDomer (2024-04-18 11:01:09)

This user did not provide content for this post

Cheer for James Roe *
by DBCooper  (2024-04-18 19:24:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are many great responses below to enjoy your time
by Herr Smack  (2024-04-18 18:44:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Indy 500 Weekend. Carb Day (on Friday) is much better than it used to be. Most of the cars are fine tuning for dozens of laps and it gets me pumped up for the race. Try to hit the museum. It is not spectacular, but pretty neat because of the history and advancements in technology through the decades. Witnessing the insanely fast sense of speed down the straightaways and through the corners is spectacular. Open wheel cars at that speed passing and side by side is crazy cool. Best sporting event in sports.

Museum is closed this year for renovations FYI *
by Smokin_Clover  (2024-04-19 09:21:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe one of the “vets” can confirm this for me.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-18 18:21:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A buddy of mine has gone a handful of times through some corporate connections and the way he tells it is that if you can finagle your way into one of infield tents, you have an amazing level of access to the drivers.

He likes to tell a story of turning around from the buffet table and nearly trucking Mario Andretti.

You stand for Back Home Again In Indiana.
by cujays96  (2024-04-18 17:06:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is more important than standing for “God Bless America”, which there is no rule about anywhere.

Purdue will bring their big stupid drum.

Crusty veteran of the Indy 500
by tjnd88  (2024-04-18 16:30:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Went to my first in 1976 and was instantly hooked. Have attended nearly every year since. We sit in the very top row between Turns 3 & 4. Our seats since 1989. It’s terrific up there.

Essentials : cooler (must fit under your seat), sunscreen, cheap compact rain poncho (It hasn't rained at the race since 2007, but just in case).

Optionals : earplugs (cars aren’t as loud as they used to be, so I no longer use them), radio headphones to hear what’s going on in the race. The cars generally drown-out the PA announcer.

Recommendations : Take your own food. Get parked on race day butt-early to avoid traffic and park strategically to exit easily. Remember it’s 300K people all going to the same place, so heavy traffic is given. There are two races that day : the one on the track and the one to get the hell out of there when it’s over. We like to be among the leaders in that 2nd one.

If you have enough time to attend Carb Day on Friday, do so. And the Carb Night Classic at Lucas Oil Raceway on Friday night is fun as well, a great racing primer for the weekend.

The Indy 500 Festival Parade on Saturday is nice, but we haven't attended that in years.

There are a dozen goosebump moments at the Indy 500. It’s my favorite sporting event of the year, mostly because I don't care who wins. I’m there for the show and it's always a good one.

There's a slew of people, last couple years have been hot
by El Kabong  (2024-04-18 16:00:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can bring coolers in, but they have to fit under your seat on the bleachers. No glass bottles. Bring earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones. The area immediately south of the track has gentrified and has some nice restaurants/bars. Charlie Brown's is a great place for breakfast. I'm camping in Lot 4.

For anything else, I'd need specifics.

By under the seat, you mean between your feet
by cujays96  (2024-04-18 17:04:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the “14” inches allotted to your ass.

Ask Bonger
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-18 15:07:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s known there

What do you want to know about it?
by Smokin_Clover  (2024-04-18 12:10:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've been to so many I've lost count. Probably about 15. I'm sure there are others here who have been to more.

Do you know where you're sitting and staying? Are you a race fan or just there as a bucket list type thing?

The girl with her daddy's T-Bird makes it look like
by Moff  (2024-04-18 11:48:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a Roman chariot race, now.

Have Fun, Fun, Fun.

Handing out tickets there is like charging someone for
by doolinbanjos  (2024-04-19 03:59:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...murder in Vietnam.

It is the greatest spectacle in racing. *
by ChicagoWave03  (2024-04-18 11:41:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is Sunday, May 26, in Indianapolis. *
by No Right Turn on Red  (2024-04-18 11:21:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't count out the snail
by gozer  (2024-04-18 11:13:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That snail is fast.

Have you heard of Kyle Larson? *
by Killian  (2024-04-18 11:06:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A bunch of cars go in a circle for 3 hours *
by sluredandstumbly  (2024-04-18 11:05:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They go for 500 miles.
by bizdomer09  (2024-04-18 13:40:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is in Indianapolis. That area.

But that’s not important now *
by ufl  (2024-04-18 12:11:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post