I thought it was fantastic as well.
by hepcat (2024-04-16 17:11:21)

In reply to: I liked "Project Hail Mary" - the audiobook  posted by mkovac

It goes a bit too hard into the science sometimes for me whereas The Martian walked a finer line I thought.

Loved the book
by catripledomer  (2024-04-16 17:59:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Loved the science. Very fun and though-provoking.

I'm curious about the movie adaptation.
by mkovac  (2024-04-16 17:36:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very curious.

Not having read "The Martian," and having watched the movie adaptation, I didn't have the book to compare to the movie. In the book, I imagine that the main character in "The Martian" engaged in a lot of thought and "self-talk."

I know that this is the case in the audio book version of "Project Hail Mary," and that Hollywood likes action, not watching a character engage in thinking or "self-talk." On the basis of that, the movie will have to forego a lot of that and action will be paramount.

So, we'll see. I am anxiously awaiting the movie.

I hope it does the book justice.

I’m certainly no engineer, but I made it through
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-16 17:53:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“The Martian” with no problems and really enjoyed it. There was a lot of self-talk that was science/engineering, but nothing I felt I was slogging through. If I remember correctly, the biggest change was the ending, but it’s been since before the film was released that I read the novel.

I haven’t made it to his second book yet.

I think you might like it. I recommend the audio book.
by mkovac  (2024-04-16 20:01:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you can check out the audio book from your local library, I think you will agree with me that, at some point in it, you will see why I am recommending it over the actual book.

mk