I've likened it to the print media industry in late 90's
by Queensman (2024-04-16 14:15:48)

In reply to: The high fixed costs and low variable costs do indeed  posted by Raoul

...and early 2000's. The writing was on the wall. The industry was shifting a major way and never coming back.

Those who chose to make a major change in their business model to adapt would find a way to succeed. Others would recognize the change but saw no way to adapt. Therefore, they looked to sell or merge with another entity to ensure its future. Finally, there were those that denied realty stating things like "people will always want their paper". Those companies suffered painful and public deaths.

I chuckled at "people will always want their paper"
by Raoul  (2024-04-16 15:08:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember hearing that too. I doubt my daughter (in college) has ever read a paper daily. For that matter, all her books have been digital. She takes notes with an Ipad - never paper.

NYT and WaPo at least survived - not sure if they make money online but they exist which must feel like a big success and arguably they are bigger names today if not more profitable.

WaPo had Newsweek (failed not) and then they had Kaplan as well. Print Media + Education. Great combination.

Purdue picked up the remnants of Kaplan and seems to have done as well as anyone in education.

Paper new media with all its big printing equipment and fixed delivery infrastructure definitely shared a business structure with education. Only the biggest, best brands managed to survive. A few niche magazines do well, too, even in print form.