Here's a few suggestions.
by Keenan4w (2024-04-16 13:19:59)

In reply to: Goin to New Orleans Jazz Fest next weekend  posted by crazychester

Friday - 1:40 - Economy Hall Jazz Tent - Doreen Ketchens She's a phenomenal clarinet player with a great stage presence. She busks in the Quarter with some regularity, but she's also a world class musician. There are lots of of videos of her on YouTube. Check a few out ahead of time.

Saturday - 2:50 - Blues Tent - Deacon John Old school New Orleans R&B artist. I don't really know how to summarize him other than to say that he's one of the last of his generation. He played my senior prom in the late 90's and killed it.

Saturday - 4:10 - Congo Square - Big Freedia - Self proclaimed Queen Diva of New Orleans bounce music. I don't know your musical taste and bounce music can be a big much for some people, but Big Freedia has been a huge influence on modern hip hop and music broadly. If you've ever seen someone twerk, you've seen the influence of Big Freedia. She didn't invent it, but she helped spread it nationwide.

There are a host of other acts worth checking out, from Irma Thomas to Buckwheat Zydeco to Alex McMurray to the Story ville Stompers, but I'd highlight the three above as some of the best in their own distinct genres of New Orleans music.