Spring of 1979. We had floor seats. One of my friends was a
by OldIrishFan (2024-04-16 08:51:23)
Edited on 2024-04-16 08:51:59

In reply to: If you missed Billy Joel's 100th MSG concert last night, you  posted by Boomer80

Huge Billy Joel fan and he convinced us to stay out all night waiting in line for tickets at the ACC. After one hour we were told to go back to our dorms and given paperwork to ensure we could purchase floor seats. He would start other people’s songs and then stop abruptly after one minute stating we don’t do that song. One song was Live and Let Die. Apparently, the powers that be told him he couldn’t play Only the Good Die Young. So he did it twice. At the conclusion of the concert, we were told “Hey South Bend, don’t take shit from anyone.” Good concert

I was there as a HS Junior. Had an admissions interview.
by Moose84  (2024-04-16 15:26:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Went to concert. Partied in Keenan basement after concert.

Floor as well for that show
by knutesteen  (2024-04-16 14:05:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember thinking that Liberty DeVito's drums sounded the best of any I had yet heard at an arena concert. I had my camera confiscated by security after sneaking it in to the show. "Live and Let Die" did indeed sound just like the original. Great performance overall.

Missed that concert, unfortunately
by sprack  (2024-04-16 13:49:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of many I wish I hadn’t missed in my time at ND.

I can’t remember, was it really true they told him not to play “Only the Good Die Young”? Not that I doubt it for a second, but who was it specifically?

And what were they going to do, have him arrested?

The funny thing is that the song is really pretty mild compared to many other songs played by bands in those days at ND, but of course those songs didn’t contain the words “Catholic girls”. My God, they showed a completely uncut “Last Tango in Paris” in the Engineering Auditorium.

In that concert
by Taxman  (2024-04-16 10:09:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He also had a song during which he played every instrument in the band.