Hypothetical: Is there any way we will be unseeded?
by Otter (2024-04-24 13:57:45)

Worst outcome would be a blowout loss to UVA and another loss to either Duke or UNC.

Finish the season with 3 losses. One bad loss but two losses to top 10 teams.

I feel as if our floor right now is probably a 6 seed.

One Win and "Seeded" is Solid
by dillon77  (2024-04-25 08:41:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The run since G'Town is huge.

I'm still not sold on this non-tourney tournament (since it counts for nothing save for teams that need it): Too many tough back-end games as Matty Ward brought up.

Convince Stanford to add a guy's lax team to get to six. Or pry Johns Hopkins away from the B1G: they have more in common with the Lax-playing ACC schools.

Last thing Stanford will do will add another sport. The only
by Domerduck  (2024-04-25 17:39:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

way they fund what sports they have is with their endowment. There is little alumni and local support for the ACC on the west coast so more teams that lose money and create more travel issues is a non starter. The article attached below entitled "Cal/Stanford carry budget shortfalls as they prepare to enter the ACC with partial revenue shares" was written just 2 days ago. Article probably firewalled unless you get the PAC12 hotline.

Never understood Hopkins to the B1G
by IrishinSF  (2024-04-25 14:10:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But Stanford won’t be starting another varsity sport anytime soon. They have a hard enough time maintaining the ones they have.

Before Hopkins moved to the B!G, they asked the ACC
by Steelhop  (2024-04-26 13:49:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to become an affiliate member like they are with the B1G and the ACC said no. So they went to the B1G instead.

Edited to add: this was prior to UMd moving over to the B1G.

They weren't good enough to hang in the Centennial Conf. *
by Slotts  (2024-04-26 13:33:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Strictly mho, but I don't think there's any way the B1G gets
by tf86  (2024-04-26 09:25:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopkins without Maryland.

As for Stanford, they check a lot of the boxes for adding a men's lacrosse team. Specifically, the Title IX considerations are extremely limited for a FBS school, given: (1) the overall number of sports Stanford sponsors (rendering the additional scholarships a new sport would require of relatively little significance from a Title IX perspective; (2) Stanford's robust participation in women's sports; and (3) a favorable male:female enrollment ratio from a Title IX perspective (IIRC, it's 53:47, which mirrors ND). Further, men's lacrosse would seem to be an institutional fit for Stanford, and there's enough talent on the west coast to make Stanford competitive in relatively short order. The problem, as you mentioned, is money, and given Stanford's location, some of the costs associated with a lacrosse startup (e.g., travel) would be considerably higher than they would be at many other schools.

Marriage of Convenience for JHU; Need Sarcasm Emoji...
by dillon77  (2024-04-26 08:58:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..because that last paragraph was meant as a throwaway. As Flanner96 brought up, I could've added "Clemson adding a men's lax team," as well. (Clemson probably offered a women's lax team up to meet Title IX requirements and/or a way to draw more women from the northeast and Middle Atlantic States (it's working...Clemson's pretty good for such a young program)

No, I never expect Stanford to field a men's team.

But I still don't get that JHU thing....

Clemson has built such a nice facility for womens lax
by NDoggie78  (2024-04-25 09:39:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It sits right on a lake. I would think it would be shortsighted to think that only the women’s team would use it

One of the lax sites played an april fool's joke...
by flanner96  (2024-04-25 18:07:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...announcing that Clemson was going to start a men's team. I admit, I was fooled momentarily.