To me it is easier to have a lax program than start
by steelhop (2017-06-19 15:36:43)

In reply to: The last Power 5 level football program to add  posted by tf86

a new program because of title IX issues. Which UM should be commended in overcoming that huge hurdle.

Since 1982 - P5 programs starting lax programs (ND, UM and Utah) is equal to the P5 schools dropping programs (MSU, BC and NCSt).

Two of the three that started men's lax programs
by tf86  (2017-06-20 10:44:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since 1982 did not have a significant Title IX obstacle to overcome. That could be a significant obstacle moving forward, particularly since the majority of Power 5 football programs are at public schools, and at many public schools, female students are in the majority.

The only other FBS level school (not Power 5) to be added to the list of schools sponsoring both FBS-level football and Division I men's lacrosse in the relevant time period is UMass. UMass is a little different, however -- in their case, the men's lacrosse program existed first, and football wasn't elevated to FBS status until much later.

As an aside, I've been trying to come up with a list of schools which formerly sponsored Division I men's lacrosse but discontinued the sport, at least at that level. In addition to the Power 5 schools you listed, I've come up with (all non-Power 5 schools) Butler, Morgan State and Presbyterian. Any others that you know of?

I have no idea but this guy seems to have put
by steelhop  (2017-06-20 12:45:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

together a good list of schools.

Seems like there was a big drop in the late 70s/80s when sports programs seemed to jump on stature (i.e. tv money?). I'm not sure I believe some of the author's insistence in Title IX being an issue back then but maybe it was for some schools.