Win faceoffs, win titles
by mikeybates (2017-05-29 15:21:02)

We know what we need...the question is will we get it?

A Very Necessary Component
by domer65  (2017-05-29 16:05:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maryland was able to win 47% of the faceoffs against Denver's Baptise. Had their faceoff performance mirrored Notre Dame's, they probably wouldn't have beaten Denver. Their FOGO performance in the Championship today was also good. We have painfully witnessed that you can't beat a quality team if they dominate the FOGO by a significant margin.

Ironically, their FOGO that had success today was
by Ccndbound  (2017-05-29 17:11:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their back-up FOGO, someone completely different than the one who battled Baptise. Their #1 guy struggled against OSU. ND actually fared well against both MD and OSU in the regular season, if I remember correctly.

Match-ups and styles are important in face offs.....

Concern
by domer65  (2017-05-30 06:18:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would appear that our leading FOGO guy next year will be Travisano. His record in the two games this year against Baptise was 1-13. Sexton also did faceoffs 4 times against Baptise and came away 0-4. I fear that we are mentally beaten before the faceoffs against Baptise due to his complete domination over the past games. We either need some new talent in the FOGO area or our current players need to spend a lot more time working on FOGO? Are we watching films of his faceoff technique, analyzing his tendencies? Most of the teams that had respectable FOGO performances against Baptise beat Denver. We did not. I realize that Baptise is the best FOGO player in the country and that our performance against other teams was better. However, he will be back next year.