Starsia out at Virginia
by Otter (2016-05-24 12:41:57)

The current names being thrown around on our board:
by hoomanbeing  (2016-05-25 13:52:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shay from Yale, Tiffany from Brown (provided he brings Kirwan and Kip Turner with him), Toomey from Loyola, Nadelen from Towson (some think he's going to Princeton, though), and a new entrant suggested by a poster on Laxpower, Daly from Tufts. The thinking on Tiffany is that if he can't bring Kirwan, then we'd rather not have him. Kirwan was Daly's OC before he shifted to Brown, who really took off once he got there.

Caravana, from Denison
by kjadoc  (2016-06-01 10:18:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Four time all american at UVA, one of the winningest coaches in D-3 history

Thoughts on Ivies, Loyalties and Tufts
by dillon77  (2016-05-25 16:32:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for the summary from the UVA board...interesting.

A few thoughts/questions for you.

- Ivies. A quarter century ago, Dom Starsia left his alma mater, Brown, to to go UVA. Tillman left Harvard to take over Maryland. Sowell left Dartmouth to go to St. John's/Stony Brook/Navy, etc. Recently, the Ivies are putting more money/endowing these spots (like a lot of schools).
Do you think folks would automatically jump from the Ivies, particularly when you double dip it with...

- Loyalty. Lars Tiffany is also a Brown graduate and seems to have everything he needs there, particularly two very good assistant coaches (at least for now...got to think Kirwin will be lulled somewhere soon)
Charlie Toomey is also a Loyola grad. Would he leave his alma mater?

- Tufts. Daly's got them back in the title game. He's had quite a run there, starting it up and maintaining it.

Shawn Nadelin would be interesting at Princeton. Tough, defensive-minded coach...kind of following the Tierney mode.

All that said, I could see Yale's Andy Shay working well at UVa, along with Daly....

FWIW, Dom was also a Brown graduate
by steelhop  (2016-05-25 16:56:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I certainly give credence to the argument that guys like to coach at their alma mater and that has to work into the equation of which program has the bigger platform and which one is going to pay more money? Usually, at the end of the day, for many guys, pay checks outweigh alma mater loyalty.

Exactly. It's easier to get players into UVa than an Ivy.
by hoomanbeing  (2016-05-26 09:24:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fact of Life. Just ask Tierney. The story that's circulating is that the Princeton Admissions Office was not as friendly as it once was (possibly on orders from the school administration), hence their fall-off from where they were and Tierney's departure. While we're not talking about kids who barely can get out of high school, there is a drop-off. Its degree is in the eye of the beholder.

UVa is considered one of the top jobs in the MLax world. One of our posters said when we're hiring a new MLax coach, it's a similar situation to ND's hiring a football coach or UNC-CHeat's hiring a bball coach. While the coach is expected to put a quality product on the field that is a consistent contender for the national championship, neither the school's athletic or academic administrations nor the fans expect him to win the championship every year. No reasonable request is turned down because all levels of administration support what's being done and the resources are there to pay for them. I would never say that no coach anywhere would ever turn us down, but it would have to be very hard to do it because you have the resources, administration support, fan support, and reasonable expectations of everyone involved that can lead to success.

Isn't Corrigan too old at this point?
by Groundhog  (2016-05-25 02:09:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would think UVA would want someone a bit younger.

Seems like the time for that move has passed...
by dillon77  (2016-05-25 10:50:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...given that he's getting up there in age. Plus, he's been here such a long time that thoughts of returning east (something he once thought he and his wife would do after a few years, I remember reading) have probably faded. Maybe a decade ago...

You'd think UVA AD Littlepage -- having let go an older coach -- will want to go younger. It will be interesting...in the past, you'd look at an Ivy League coach (like Starsia was) and think they'd jump to the ACC, but with endowed coaching slots, these positions are getting paid more than in the past. How much more I don't know....

Still, a coach like Andy Shay of Yale comes to mind. If they want a UVA guy, Kip Sullivan of Brown is an accomplished assistant...but an assistant.

But you never know what the search will bring up and/or if Coach Corrigan and family might be looking for something....stay tuned.

If they do go with an older guy...
by ndphillies  (2016-05-25 12:57:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

would be curious to see if they consider Mike Caravana from Denison, a former UVA player and until recently was their all-time leading scorer

Corrigan & his wife are from that area - his Parents live
by Jammer  (2016-05-24 14:45:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

near Charlottesville is what I heard on the Lax Program last week on Sirius XM - -

Would be interesting to see if he left - --
Especially after the disappointing ending to a Highly Ranked season - - -

I'm having flashbacks to 2006 and ND baseball
by ShermanOaksND  (2016-05-24 18:05:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND won the Big East regular season title and its 5th straight Big East tournament championship, and earned a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Lexington Regional, with a 45-15 record and national poll rankings from 15-20. But then ND belly-flopped, losing both tournament games. Shortly thereafter, Paul Mainieri left to take the LSU job, and ND has gone from 8 NCAA bids in 8 years to 1 in the last 10.

It seems to me that ND has lucked into most of its better coaching hires, and I dread the prospect of having to replace Corrigan.

I dread it too.
by flanner96  (2016-05-26 09:02:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is GB our coach in waiting? I don't think I've ever seen anything in print to that effect. I think he could be a very good head coach-- but I greatly fear the program will take a big step backwards once Corrigan leaves/retires without the right hire.

If Gerry Bryne is successor for Corrigan if and when
by dillon77  (2016-05-26 16:37:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

KC leaves, I think GB could be a very effective head coach, particularly if he's paired with an effective and dedicated offensive coach.

If other candidates were to come in (and one hired), it would be great to pair the two together, much like the defensive coordinator at Va Tech was kept when Beamer moved on....

One problem with that
by tf86  (2016-05-28 15:04:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that Byrne is only about 2-3 years younger than Corrigan. If Corrigan leaves for the Virginia job now, then slapping a "coach in waiting" tag on Byrne is appropriate. If not, well . . .

For that matter, if Byrne has head coaching aspirations, I see him leaving in the very near future unless Corrigan takes the Virginia job.

You failed to mention...
by Porpoiseboy  (2016-05-24 21:06:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mainieri led LSU to the national championship in 2009.

Large consensus of our board doesn't want him as our coach.
by hoomanbeing  (2016-05-24 13:24:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be a monstrously huge culture change for us to slow down to his offensive pace, if nothing else. Most everyone connected w/UVa MLax believes our offensive woes are due to our not playing our usual "run-and-gun" style. The undefeated 2006 team was held under double figures only once that year (by an unbelievable performance by the Princeton goalie that held us to 9-8). Earlier in the year, I tried to figure out the average score in a UVa-Cuse game. It was something like 13-12. We want to go back to that.

Well, the problem with that view is that
by steelhop  (2016-05-25 16:53:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you need the horses to do that. UVA has had limited top end offensive players. The last great one was Stanwick (and his two brothers went to Hopkins). They aren't at his brother's caliber (at least Wells wasn't and Shack appears to be the same) but they were good players.

UVA has had defensive issues for several years.

Lastly, and I have seen UVA supports gloss over this point, the Yeardley Love murder by George Huguely, the UVA lax player, caused a huge hit to UVA lax. I don't think it is the least bit odd that UVA's program took a huge step back once as the impact of that worked it's way through the program and recruits parents put out their feelings on that. Honestly, I'm shocked Dom wasn't fired because of Love's murder.

Edited to add: don't get me wrong, my alma mater's lax program has played like crap in 5 of the last 6 years.