From strictly a bracket perspective, there's a pretty
by tf86 (2016-05-09 15:35:49)

In reply to: Is Marquette a team nobody wants to face? *  posted by G.K.Chesterton

Big difference between when we potentially face Marquette, and when I originally expected to face them.

I thought we'd be the 3 seed. I thought the top 5 were pretty static in terms of who were involved: us, Denver, Maryland, Yale and Brown. I also thought they'd give Maryland the #1 seed based on them winning the B1G tournament. I also thought that Brown would get the #5 seed based on having some of the worst losses in that group (Bryant and Harvard come to mind).

Brown, of course, was automatically funneled into the Providence quarterfinal site. I also thought the Committee would bend over backwards to keep both us and Denver in Columbus, in that they planned on using the Columbus site to showcase the sport in an area that's not a regional hotbed, and they wanted to place one team in relatively close proximity to Columbus (us) and another that was a western team (Denver), both with a lot of success in recent years. By process of elimination, that meant giving Yale the #4 seed, since they were the only remaining team that could get sent to Providence. Denver got the #2 seed over us on the basis of the head-to-head win, I think.

I also expected Marquette to be unseeded, and based on geography, I expected Marquette to match up against us in the first round.

If you were to seed all of the teams in the field top to bottom based on quality of play, I personally think that Marquette would rank somewhere between #6 and #14, likely around 11 or 12. Essentially, that means that Marquette would have been underseeded as a first round opponent for us, and is overseeded as a potential second-round opponent for us. Jmho.