Thoughts from Lincoln Financial field
by Otter (2015-05-23 23:24:05)

1) The crowd was actually pretty good. The lower bowl was filled for the game. More than half the people left after the first game. Notre Dame fans represent pretty well. Very loud during the comeback.

2) The NCAA has to do something about getting people into the stadium. Security was an absolute debacle and it took more than 45 minutes to get to our seats. Only one entrance was open to enter the entire stadium. If they want people to show up you got to make the experience better than that.

3) This is my second full season of following Lax so take my observations with that weight. Denver's intentionally slow play seemed to frustrate Notre Dame. It seemed like they were trying to sit on a one goal lead most of the time. More than once it seemed that they ignored the open man to try to milk the clock and the started in the first half. Combine that with the face-off losses and Notre Dame seem to be pressing the whole game.

4) Perkovic sat out a very large portion of the game. He is my son's favorite player so I was well aware of when he was on the field. I actually wondered during the third quarter if they were resting him to be fresh for the end.

5) without a scouting report you would've had no idea that Matt Kavanaugh was anything special. It was definitely clear that he was a team leader though.

6) The Denver team looked like someone shot their dog while waiting for overtime to start. If we could've kept possession I think they would've rolled over. Unfortunately we won't know.

7) before the second game the Johns Hopkins coach had their team practice their reaction if they were to win. The players started jumping up-and-down and throwing their gear into the air before the second game even started. The power of positive thinking I suppose. It was interesting to see someone try this.

8) getting back to Denver's style: it was terrible to watch. They just kept tossing the ball around until the shot clock was put on or until ND gave them an absurdly good look. I know it is probably sour grapes but that kind of style is not good for fans.

9) I will be forever grateful to this team for scaring the crap out of the foul mouthed Pioneer grad / Penn State football fan in front of my family.

Digger had the team practice cutting down the nets
by Hog84  (2015-05-24 16:30:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

before the UCLA game.

I assume you didn;t read the Kavanaugh stuff below *
by BIGSKYND  (2015-05-24 16:18:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If true, it's quite a feat to come as close as we did *
by ShermanOaksND  (2015-05-25 01:23:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No question *
by BIGSKYND  (2015-05-25 15:32:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I find the whole we kind of have a shot clock thing to be
by Carlos Huerta  (2015-05-24 08:36:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the main reason I don't really enjoy lacrosse. Getting the ball back after you shoot it out of bounds, even if it goes out on the sideline ranks up there as well. Yesterday was an exception because the stakes were high and I had a rooting interest but I have no interest in watching any of the championship game.

Lacrosse was played on a wide open field
by okerland  (2015-05-25 15:11:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when it was invented. There may not have been an out of bounds.

because we don't have many fields like that, they've reward the person closest to the ball when it goes long.

Women's lacrosse used to be whoever threw it out of bounds got the ball, so teams would throw from one endline to another.

As I understand it, among the Iroquois
by tf86  (2015-12-30 01:31:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lacrosse was a substitute for war. The playing fields were literally miles long.

I'll admit that lacrosse is something of an acquired taste, if only because there is a substantial playing area behind the goals. That takes some getting used to when one has grown up knowing primarily football, basketball, baseball, hockey and soccer.

Shot clock may not be ideal, but shot possession rule
by Ccndbound  (2015-05-24 09:06:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes complete sense. You have to have a way to encourage the offense to shoot and make it possible/probable that they can retain possession even if they miss the cage. Without that rule, players would be reluctant to shoot and the game would become much slower.

MLL rules are actually quite different
by tf86  (2015-12-30 01:35:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One minute shot clock beginning when a team gets possession in its own defensive end. Also a two-point shot rule for a shot from more than 35 feet away (I could be slightly off on the distance)